Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

BLOGGER BOOT CAMP | Day 13: 10 Tips for a Better Night's Sleep

march blogger boot camp day 13, 10 tips for a better night's sleep, makeupwithaheart

With Daylight Savings Time starting this Sunday, springing forward an hour can mess up sleep schedules. In preparation for losing an hour, I've compiled a list (because I'm a "list" person) of 10 tips that help me get a good night's sleep! Which tips do you already do?


1. If you sleep with another person or are sensitive to loud sounds, use earplugs! I've resisted them for so long because they feel so uncomfortable in my ear. But, I was using the wrong size. Once I switched to a smaller one, they don't feel as awkward and they block sound out soooo much better! If you find them falling out too often, try squishing them into a chopstick-thin size and holding your ear up and out to straighten your ear canal. But be careful: follow all directions on the box to prevent hearing damage! 

2. Eye masks are the way to go if light bothers you. I have to sleep in complete darkness because my mind will get bored by the lack of visual stimulants. I'd pick one that is made from dark and opaque material because it'll block the light out better. Hello Kitty eye masks are cute but the white material is mediocre at blocking out light. 

3. Sleeping and waking at the same time (or an hour before or after) helps regulate your sleep schedule. A regular schedule helps you stress less about sleep and prevent that groggy feeling from too much or too little sleep. It's easier said than done in today's busy world but it really works!

4. If you're stressing about something right before bed, it'll be hard to fall asleep. What I like to do, because I tend to obsess and I'm a "list" person, is write out my plans for the day in my agenda so I can stop stressing about it and relax. 

5. Avoiding food and drink an hour or two before bed helps me sleep better. I'm not sure on the mechanics but eating gives me a boost of energy that makes it harder for me to sleep. But if I eat too much and enter food coma stage, I'll feel sleepy and want to take a nap. So pick your poison, I guess. 

6. Having a routine before bedtime helps my body prepare for sleep. I'm not one of the lucky ones that can sleep anytime, anywhere. What I do is drink a bit of water so that I'm not thirsty right before bed, go to the restroom so I don't wake up in the middle of the night to go, do my skincare routine, wash the dishes and then put in my earplugs and my eye mask. Some people read, listen to music or watch a movie to help unwind but those kind of activities actually keep me up because my brain is working to pay attention. 

7. Avoid stimulating activity right before bed. For me, that's reading, movies and music. 

8. This one might not apply to everyone but exercise makes me tired. If I'm really pumped for some reason, I'll play a little bit of Just Dance to tire myself out. If that's not feasible, I'll do sit ups or stretches.

9. Sometimes, stressing about not getting enough sleep will keep you up. Try not to think about it and daydream instead. By that, I'll pretend that I'm going on a beach vacation. So I'll pretend-pack in my mind and I don't get much farther than that most days because it's so boring. If I do get to the beach, I'll think up some boring activities for me to do at the beach, like read or splash around. You could also daydream about the next day or about your makeup routine to calm your mind.

10. And while I haven't tried this tip myself, my cousin would drink a warm glass of milk before bed. She swears by it so give it a shot if the above tips don't work!

Bonus Tip: Figuring out how much sleep you need each night will help you figure out your best bedtime. On nights that are free, let yourself wake up at your own pace. Doing that several nights in a row will help you figure out your ideal sleep time. For me, it's 7 hours but any more than 9 will get me feeling groggy and tired.

So there's 11 tips to help your drift off to dreamland tonight (and all the nights to come!). 

What tips do you have for getting a better night's sleep?


XOXO,
Cindy ♥

No comments