Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

REVIEW | Physician's Formula Murumuru Butter Bronzer

REVIEW | Physician's Formula Murumuru Butter Bronzer swatches and comparisons
Summer is on its way out here in the Northern Hemisphere but I'm going to hold onto it as best as I can! This was definitely the summer of bronzers for me. I fell in love with the bareMinerals' Skinny Dip last year so when everyone was raving about the Physicians Formula Murumuru Butter Bronzer, I had to give it a try. If you're bronzer-averse like me, I'd definitely recommend it!

{AT A GLANCE}

The Butter Bronzer claims to seal in moisture and hydration in the skin. The creamy and soft formula is packed with murumuru butter, cupuacu butter, tucumu butter as well as essential fatty oils and pro-vitamins that condition, soften and moisturize skin. It is hypoallergenic, cruelty free, paraben free and oil free. 

The bronzer comes in two colors: Light Bronzer and Bronzer. I have the shade Bronzer. I bought mine from Ulta for $14.99usd. Each compact contains 0.38oz ($39.45usd per oz).

{THE BREAKDOWN}

REVIEW | Physician's Formula Murumuru Butter Bronzer swatches and comparisons
Let's address the claims, shall we? While I don't put much stock in buzzwords like, "hypoallergenic", "paraben free", or "oil free", I'm glad that Physicians Formula remains cruelty-free. Though it is paraben-free, there is a preservative in the form on phenoxyethanol. All the talk about the butters and they're towards the middle of the list. The only vitamin I recognized is tocopherol (Vitamin E) but it's quite low on the list. 

Ingredients-wise, the first five are talc, synthetic sapphire, mica, dimethiconol stearate and isostearyl neopentanoate. If you're allergic to talc, obviously, avoid this product. I couldn't find much information on the use of synthetic sapphire in cosmetics but it seems to have gemstone qualities as well as superior slip, adhesion and transparency. Mica is a mineral that gives products that glitter and shine. Dimethiconol stearate is an occlusive, meaning that it will form a physical barrier, preventing moisture from leaving the skin. Isostearyl neopentanoate is a binder, holding the ingredients together. It can also be a lubricant, giving the skin a soft and smooth appearance. However, fragrance is listed quite high up and I can smell it even when the compact is closed. So if you are sensitive to fragrances, this isn't for you.
REVIEW | Physician's Formula Murumuru Butter Bronzer swatches and comparisons
For a person who went from pale ghost to bronze goddess, this bronzer surprised me. I have quite a few bronzers, but this is the one I kept reaching for. This won't give you Instaglam-worthy bronze but it's great for those who prefer a natural look. I like to use a fluffy brush like the one in the first photo. The e.l.f. Studio Complexion Brush picks up a small amount and diffuses it evenly across my skin--no streaks here! I find that I do have to do two layers for it to show up on my skin tone but my camera doesn't pick up the color at all (which is why there's no photo of it on my face). I could continue to layer it so that it's dark enough for the camera to pick up but then it would be way too much for everyday wear. 

I like to place it in the contour areas: sides of my forehead, sides of my nose and underneath my cheekbones. Because the color is on the neutral side, it doesn't look off on my skin. I know shadows are cooler in tone but I have yet to muster the courage to try it. 

Physicians Formula always have the cutest packaging and this bronzer is no different. The palm trees and chartreuse color definitely put me in a summertime mood. It is a bit bulky but the included mirror is handy when I'm doing my makeup. Using a brush gives me the softest-looking contour but using the included sponge definitely upped the pigmentation. For that reason, I don't like using the sponge when I'm going for an everyday look. The sponge is a bit weird to work with. To use it, I pick up color on the edge of one side and using an upward, sweeping motion, I'll apply it under my cheekbones. For the sides of the forehead, I'll work it horizontally, from the hairline towards my eyes. Since it's a bit finicky, I prefer the brush method.

Some people describe the scent as suntan lotion. As I've never fake tanned in my life, I'll have to defer to them. To me, it's like synthetic coconut. Others had warned that the scent is super strong but I thought I wouldn't be able to pick it up because my nose is quite weak at picking up scents. When I received it in the mail, I could already smell the bronzer. Even when I applied it to my face, I could still faintly detect the scent. After having it for several weeks, the smell has dissipated somewhat. Opening the compact, I can smell it but once it's on my face, I can't smell it anymore. 

Since I only apply a small amount, it's hard to tell how much is left throughout the day. I do know that it doesn't apply patchy or streaky, whether over a powdered or unpowdered face.

{THE SWATCH}REVIEW | Physician's Formula Murumuru Butter Bronzer swatches and comparisons

The tone is just right for my light to medium, yellow undertone skin. As you'll see in the swatches, it's on the neutral side, making it versatile for all undertones. In terms of warmth, Tarte Park Ave Princess is warmest, then Bareminerals Skinny Dip, Physicians Formula Bronzer and Too Faced Chocolate Soleil being the "coolest". I forgot to swatch Benefit's Hoola but if I recall, it's also on the neutral side. Tarte has the most pigment, then Too Faced, Bareminerals and then Physicians Formula. Since this is the "darkest" shade they offer, if you're any darker than me (around an NC 25-30), this won't show up on your skin. On the flip side, pale peeps who often have trouble finding a bronzer that isn't orangey or too dark will love this!

{THE LOOK}

Not sure if you can see it but I applied this on the sides of my forehead, under my cheekbones and my jawline. Maybe it's wishful thinking, haha.

{THE BOTTOM LINE}

Physicians Formula is known for their bronzers and I'm glad I wasn't steered wrong. I'm a sucker for pretty packaging but I'm glad that the product inside delivers what I didn't even know I was missing. I wish they would make darker colors because this is such a great bronzer. It's creamy, easy to blend and doesn't pull orange like Tarte's Park Ave Princess. I don't know if this is a limited edition bronzer, though it isn't marked as such. Physicians Formula goes on sale often so I'd wait for one of those instead of paying full price. Really great product!

{WHERE TO BUY}


MURUMURU BUTTER BRONZER // ulta / iherb / physicians formula / walmart / drugstore.com


What are your favorite bronzers? 
What drugstore gems have you found recently?
XOXO,

Cindy ♥


1 comment

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through such a difficult time! I wish there was more I could say to comfort you! I hope you are doing much better now! I definitely agree with your life advice: Those who stick around are more family! Sending you love from Singapore! Keep blogging and stay happy!

    ReplyDelete