Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

BLOGMAS | Day 10: Charlotte Tilbury vs Revlon Lipsticks


charlotte tilbury kissing lipstick in stoned rose, revlon super lustrous lipstick in rose velvet review swatches dupe

{AT A GLANCE}

As a creature of habit, I end up with many similar looking colors. So I wasn't too surprised to see that I have two iterations of this browny reddish color: Charlotte Tilbury KISSING Lipstick in Stoned Rose (CF) and Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Rose Velvet

{THE BREAKDOWN}

Charlotte Tilbury's makeup is known for its luxurious packaging and glamorous feel. I indulged in this lipstick a few years back. The K.I.S.S.I.N.G. Lipstick formula contain a special secret ingredient called "the Lipstick Tree", an antioxidant that protects from UV damage and pollution. Looking at the ingredients list, I couldn't identify what that is so I wouldn't consider that a major factor when buying the lipstick. They are paraben free but do contain carmine and are therefore not vegan. The Charlotte Tilbury line is cruelty free! Each lipstick costs $32usd for 3.5g/0.12 oz ($266usd per oz). 

Stoned Rose looks more brown on the model but lipsticks tend to look more red with my pigmented natural lip color. On me, it looks like a terra cotta red, which is wearable for every day. I'd say the formula is a comfortable matte. There's no shine but it doesn't dry out my lips, which is rare when it comes to lipstick. It doesn't take much to build full opacity and there's no dragging or patchiness. The tear-shaped bullet makes it easy to get a precise lip line without using a brush or lip liner. Wear time varies but I do have to reapply after meals. I do not detect a scent, which is a plus. Overall, I enjoyed this lipstick and would consider other colors and formulas!
charlotte tilbury kissing lipstick in stoned rose, revlon super lustrous lipstick in rose velvet review swatches dupe
Moving onto the Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Rose Velvet. I picked this up a while ago and forgot about it. Two winters ago (that's how long I've been waiting to write this post!), I needed something that wouldn't make my lips more chapped than they are and my mom recommended these to me. The Super Lustrous line has been available for seven decades and features four finishes: creme, matte, pearl and sheer. Rose Velvet is a creme finish. Packaging isn't as luxurious as the Tilbury but the swivel is smooth and the lid stays secure when tossed inside a purse. Each lipstick retails for $8.49usd for 0.15oz ($56.60usd per oz). 

I haven't had any melting problems with either lipstick, which is a bonus for hot climates. The Revlon lipsticks contain vitamin e and avocado oil to condition lips; I haven't had chapped lips while wearing this formula. Pigmentation is good; I can get full opacity with a few layers. The bullet tip isn't as sharp as the Tilbury so I do have to be more careful to get a crisp line. Formula-wise, I'd say that it's drier than the Tilbury but I don't have skipping or dragging issues. Wear time is typical for a lipstick; I have to reapply after meals. The only thing I don't like about this lipstick, besides the fact that Revlon isn't cruelty-free, is the smell. It has an awful synthetic smell that reminds me of the video cassette vinyls. I found that all my Super Lustrous lipsticks have that smell so it's not that it went bad. I wish the smell could be improved upon.
charlotte tilbury kissing lipstick in stoned rose, revlon super lustrous lipstick in rose velvet review swatches dupe

{THE SWATCH}

As you can see, the colors are almost identical. I'd say the Revlon is more brown and slightly darker in swatches. But the difference is negligible once on my lips. Below, I only used one swipe for each swatch and on my lips, without using a concealer to mute my natural color. 

charlotte tilbury kissing lipstick in stoned rose, revlon super lustrous lipstick in rose velvet review swatches dupe
Revlon Rose Velvet (left) and Charlotte Tilbury Stoned Rose (right)

{THE LOOK}

charlotte tilbury kissing lipstick in stoned rose, revlon super lustrous lipstick in rose velvet review swatches dupe
charlotte tilbury kissing lipstick in stoned rose, revlon super lustrous lipstick in rose velvet review swatches dupe

{THE BOTTOM LINE}

If buying cruelty-free isn't a big issue, I'd highly recommend the Revlon lipsticks. They come in a dazzling array of 82 shades so there's definitely a shade for everyone. They often go on sale so you can find them at a lower price. But since I am only buying cruelty-free as much as possible, I'll stick to the Charlotte Tilbury as a treat. I have my eye on Super Cindy since I am her namesake. I loved buying things with my name on it as a child so when I see makeup, I have to have it!

{WHERE TO BUY}


CHARLOTTE TILBURY || buy
REVLON || buy

XOXO,
Cindy ♥



No comments