Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

BEAUTY ROUNDUP | September 2016

the body shop tea tree skin clearing lotion, cargo swimmables blush in bali, mally face defender, maybelline color tattoo in inked in pink, colourpop super shock shadow in weenie, becca shimmering skin perfector pressed in moonstone reviews and swatches, monthly favorites, september favorites 2016
It's Friday, y'all and while I still have classes this weekend, I'm super excited because it's a whole new month for new successes! September has been a turning point for me so I'll always be thankful for second chances. So before I get too sappy, let's talk about things beauty bits I've been loving (and not so loving) this past month.

COLOURPOP WEENIE (haul) -- $5usd for 0.07oz
Everyone and their mother seem to go nuts over CP but I didn't quite see the appeal. It wasn't until Stephanie Cassidy over on Beauty Bucketeer posted a review on their Super Shock Shadows that convinced me that I needed a couple in my life. Three orders later, I'm the proud owner of 19 and planning on grabbing a few more of the fall colors. Weenie is described as a metallic rose gold but my yellow undertone makes it pull more coppery orange. As fall approaches, I'm all about the rose gold eye so this one has been in heavy rotation. It's pretty much the same color as Sequin on me but doesn't have the silver glitters and looks more school appropriate. It performs better over an eyeshadow primer or a cream base on my oily lids. 

*MAYBELLINE COLOR TATTOO IN INKED IN PINK (product smackdown) -- $6.99usd for 0.14 oz
Maybelline make my favorite cream shadows and this one has to be my all-time favorite. It's a perfect base for pink toned shadows, like my beloved Naked 3 Palette. Layering Weenie over Inked in Pink makes it more rose toned, just the way I prefer my golds. It isn't as long wearing as I remember but back then, I didn't wear makeup for over 8 hours in summertime heat.

BECCA SHIMMERING SKIN PERFECTOR PRESSED IN MOONSTONE (first impressions) -- $38usd for 0.28oz
Becca is the It-brand when it comes to highlighter and for good reason. Moonstone is the perfect golden champagne highlight on my light-medium skintone. I'm not a fan of true gold on my skin because I prefer almost silvery hues on my skin for that ethereal glow. It has just enough warmth to not look ashy on my skin. In my first impressions, I felt like it was too much but lately, I'm enjoying it full on - 3 light layers! I'll even double it up as an inner corner highlight for that angelic look. Don't limit yourself when it comes to makeup. As I'm discovering, many products can be multi-purpose: bronzer and blush as eyeshadow, eyeshadow as brow powder or contour, lipstick as cream blush and so on! I have the tiny size but I've hardly made a dent so this product will last a long time.

CARGO SWIMMABLES WATER RESISTANT BLUSH IN BALI -- $26usd for 0.37oz
I've had this for two years and other than a cursory swatch, I haven't done much with it. On a particularly hot day, this caught my eye due to the "water resistant" claim. Now, I wasn't planning on swimming but I knew I was going to be very oily and sweaty so I applied two light layers and prayed for the best. Lo and behold, my cheeks still looked nice and rosy by the end of the night! Cool toned blushes tend to make me look sallow but the warm pink base helps rectify the cooler blue iridescence. It's not visible in this swatch but the blush almost has a slight duochrome look to it. On the face, I don't see any sort of glitter or shimmer but my skin looks so luminous and fresh, just what I need for those early mornings. These only come in 3 colors on Ulta's site and I might have to pick up the tangerine shade.
the body shop tea tree skin clearing lotion, cargo swimmables blush in bali, mally face defender, maybelline color tattoo in inked in pink, colourpop super shock shadow in weenie, becca shimmering skin perfector pressed in moonstone reviews and swatches, monthly favorites, september favorites 2016
MALLY FACE DEFENDER -- $40usd for 0.46oz
Emily Noel recommended this product years ago and I bought it on a whim. I'd describe my skin as combination: oily t-zone but normal-ish everywhere else. In summertime, my whole will get oily and this is a great alternative to blotting sheets and powder. When I'm outdoors for most of the day, nothing will soak up the oil as well as the Face Defender. However, a little goes a long way. I was overzealous one day and ended up looking drier and flakier than the Sahara Desert. Five soft swipes with the included sponge will do for my face. Definitely not a product to go to town with.

THE BODY SHOP TEA TREE SKIN CLEARING LOTION (haul) -- $15usd for 1.69 fl oz
Oh gee, where to start? Firstly, I want to say that I love the Body Shop body products. Their body butters and lotions smell divine and work so well for my dry and itchy skin. However, their skincare get a big fat F from me. I consider my skin to be quite tough yet I have broken out with every single one of their skincare items save for their cleansers and the Seaweed Mattifying Moisture Lotion. I've learned the hard way that my skin doesn't agree with SLS, fluoride, peppermint oil and denatured alcohol. Most of their skincare items designated for acneic skin contain denatured alcohol for it's "oil controlling" effect but it just dries the heck out of my skin. I've used this on two or three separate occasions and each time, I've broken out in places I don't normally break out. It happened to coincide with hormonal fluctuations and my skin resembles pepperoni pizza. It has been repackaged and seems to be reformulated without the denatured alcohol but once burned, twice shy.
the body shop tea tree skin clearing lotion, cargo swimmables blush in bali, mally face defender, maybelline color tattoo in inked in pink, colourpop super shock shadow in weenie, becca shimmering skin perfector pressed in moonstone reviews, monthly favorites, september favorites 2016
So here we are again, saying good bye to another month and ushering in the next. What products have you been loving/hating? Do you look at your skincare/makeup items through rose-colored glasses, even as evidence piles against it?


XOXO,

Cindy ♥


(*) denotes a brand that is not cruelty-free.
(**) denotes a brand whose cruelty-free status is unknown/unverified. 



No comments