Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

EMPTIES | Collective + May 2016

May 2016 empties, cvs makeup remover towelettes, d'dell extra vitalizing serum, cvs cotton rounds, too faced better tan sex mascara, ladykin at the part long & perm mascara, avon big & daring volumizing mascara, sephora instant moisturizer + cream reviews

I can't believe this is the first empties post of 2016 and the year is half over, naughty blogger...If you've been through traumatic events, you know what I'm talking about. Your normal routine disappears, self-care becomes survival mode and hobbies goes out the window. But this post is not about that so I'll talk you through the products I will repurchase until the end of time and the products I'd run the other way from.

SKINCARE 

CVS Pharmacy Cleansing & Makeup Remover Towelettes -- $5.49usd for 30 wipes
 I've gone through countless numbers of these wipes! Since I use cleansing oils to remove the bulk of my makeup, I use wipes for removing swatches and cleaning makeup mistakes. Once in a blue moon, I will use them to remove my makeup but only if I'm wearing light makeup. These wipes are textured on one side, facilitating the removal process. These can feel a little rough on my skin compared to a smoother wipe but it combines light exfoliation and cleansing. They are not drying but I still need some moisture afterwards. It contains chamomilla recutita  (matricaria) flower extract, camellia sinensis leaf extract, aspalathus linearis (red tea) leaf extract and tocopheryl (vitamin e) acetate. The botanical fragrance is soothing and not overpowering. 
Bottom Line: Currently using another pack and would repurchase!

CVS Pharmacy 100% cotton Cotton Rounds -- $3.29usd for 80 count
Can you tell I love buying stuff from CVS? These cotton rounds are dual textured and lint free, which makes them perfect for many things. I use them to remove my eye makeup and never get fibers in my eye. I can't remember if I like them or not since I finished them several months ago...I prefer the ones from Target so I'd stick with those.
Bottom Line: will not repurchase

DD'ell Extra Vitalizing Serum: Intensive Concentrate Recovery -- unknown price; 1.0 fl oz/ 30ml
Anti-aging is on everyone's mind but seeing as I'm in my early 20s, I've been putting it on the backburner. However, I received this in my Little Mermaid MEMEBOX (unboxing) so I put it to the test. It claims to do four things: whitening, hydration, anti-wrinkle and calming. I've been using it on and off for several months now so maybe that's why I didn't notice any difference. I didn't notice a lightening of my acne hyperpigmentation marks but I did notice my skin tone looks more even. I have slight creases in my forehead and this did nothing for them. The only thing it did well was add hydration to my skin. The directions say to apply morning and night to cleansed face and neck but I only used it at night. For my morning skincare, I don't like to use too many products so anything I can go without, I will. The dropper mechanism was a pain in the butt to work with but at least the bottle is sturdy. I didn't notice any cracks like I did with my Tarte Maracuja Oil (review) nor did it fall apart like my Josie Maran Argan Oil travel size. 
Bottom Line: will not repurchase

Sephora Instant Moisturizer + Cream -- $5usd for 1oz/30ml; 0.169fl oz/5ml 
 This is a light moisturizing cream for face and neck, formulated without mineral oil. I'm not loyal to any one cream so I appreciate sample sizes. I think I was able to use this twice. The texture is fluffy and whipped, sinking in immediately. The special ingredient in this cream is HydroSenn+, a polysaccharide derived from a senna plant to retain moisture. For dry or dehydrated skin, this would pair well with a layering technique. On its own, there's not enough moisture to prevent dry flakes. I like the tube packaging but it also comes in a jar for those who prefer it. The tube is currently on sale so I'd grab it now if it sounds like something you'd enjoy.
Bottom Line: will not repurchase

MAKEUP

LadyKin At the Party Long & Perm Mascara -- $10usd for 8ml/0.27oz 
I got this as a part of the Cinderella MEMEBOX (unboxing). In a quest to find the perfect mascara, I gave this a try. It's a tubing mascara so it's oil and water-proof. It held the curl and didn't smudge. The wand makes it great for reaching the inner and outer corner lashes. The only other tubing mascara I've tried is from Blinc. This one is much better as it doesn't take as long to dry and it separates/defines my lashes better. What keeps it from being the perfect mascara for me is that it clumped my lashes together, making it look like I only have five lashes. I have found my HG mascara and it makes its debut in this post, so stay tuned!
Bottom Line: would not repurchase

Avon Big & Daring Volume Mascara  -- $9usd for 0.338 fl oz
Big & daring is a huge claim so it piqued my interest. I need my mascara to do it all: volume, lengthen and define. True to its name, it gives the most volume in a mascara I've ever used. The downside is that it clumps my lashes together, though not as bad as the LadyKin. There's not much length but to be fair, applying any mascara gives me length. Though it isn't a tubing mascara (as far as I can tell), it doesn't smudge from water or oil. It holds a curl well. Only thing is, taking it off is a pain in the rear. It doesn't come off with water nor with a dual-phased eye makeup remover.  If it was easier to take off, I think I could put up with the clumping issue...
Bottom Line: would not repurchase

Too Faced Better than Sex Mascara -- $23usd for 0.27oz

Is it too soon to declare this my new HG mascara? I'm very picky when it comes to my mascara but this one gave me everything I needed. Because I'm so enamored with this, I'm going to do an in-depth review very soon! Too Faced came out with a waterproof version that I'm keen to give a try. If you've tried it, what are your thoughts?
Bottom Line: Will repurchase forever and ever!

PERFUME 

Taylor Swift Enchanted Wonderstruck EDP -- $18.99usd for 0.5oz
 If you didn't already know, I'm a huge fan of Taylor Swift. Her iconic ringlet curls was my go-to hair for special occasions. I'd do it every day but then, my hair would be fried...Sadly, I'm here to report that while I love her style and hair, I wouldn't want to smell like her. The EDP is too fruity and sweet upon first spritz.The notes include vanilla and berry. While I love it in my food, I don't like it in my fragrances. Once the top notes fade, I get more of a floral scent with the slightest bit of sweetness. It does gets better with time and lasts well on my skin. The scent does overwhelm my nose but it doesn't give me a headache, thankfully. When worn, I haven't gotten comments from my brother, who's very sensitive to strong fragrances so I give it a thumbs up for sensitive noses.
Bottom Line: would not buy

Roberto Cavalli EDP -- $65usd for 1.7oz

I wear fragrances for myself so I try and find subtle scents. This one came on quite strongly and unfortunately for me, lasted a long time on my skin. Nordstrom describes it as "ambery, floral fragrance". I'm not keen on amber because it reminds me of perfumes my grandma would use. Nothing against grandmas but I associate those kind of scents with mature, sophisticated women dripping in gold and diamonds--definitely not the image I project, haha. The top note is pink peppercorn, middle note is orange blossom absolute and the base note is mirabella plum. I definitely smell something sweet in here and I avoid them like the plague. 
Bottom Line: would not buy


Selena Gomez EDP -- $35usd for 1 oz
 Again, I dislike fruity fragrances that lean fruity sweet. The notes on this contain raspberry, peach, pineapple, purple freesia, musk, dewberry, chocolate, vanilla and amber. There's the dreaded vanilla and amber. There's just not much dimension in this scent. It stays constantly the same. The scent reminds me of old-school Bath and Body Works fragrances all the girls used to wear in high school. I love her music but this perfume was a dud for me.
Bottom Line: would not buy

Hanae Mori Butterfly EDT -- $75usd for 1.7oz 
Not much to say other than this fragrance doesn't agree with me. I wear perfume to perk up my mood and sweet scents just don't do it for me. The notes are Strawberries, Bilberries, Black Currant, Bulgarian Rose, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Sandalwood, Almond, and Praline. The berries and almond scents combine into a vanilla sweetness that I prefer in my tummy than on my body. The bottle is super cute and minimalistic though!
Bottom Line: would not buy

Estee Lauder Pleasures Eau Fraiche -- $60usd for 1.7oz
I haven't had much luck with Estee Lauder fragrances but this one is a hit with me! It's a sheer floral so it's perfect for everyday. I'd describe it as smelling like a bouquet of fresh flowers. The notes are 
     Top NotesWhite Lily, Violet Leaves, Green Accents
     Middle Notes:Black Lilac, White Peony, Karo-Karounde Blossoms, Baie Rose, Pink Rose, Jasmine
     Base Notes:Sandalwood, Patchouli 
It smells slightly mature at first but lightens up into a floral as time goes on. Since I'm going cruelty-free, this one is off-limits. :(
Bottom Line: would not buy

Lady Gaga Fame EDP -- $18.69usd for 1.7oz

 Love, love, LOVE! I not one to be intrigued by celebrity fragrances They pretty much all smell the same to my weak nose and they're one-dimensional. There's nothing wrong with one-note wonders but it better be one that I like because I'll be smelling it all day. The notes include Belladonna, Tiger Orchid, Saffron, Incense, Honey, And Apricot. While I don't smell each of these distinct scents, they combine into a lovely sweet but fresh scent, kind of like crisp apples. I love it so much that my bestie bought a full size bottle of it for me. I haven't used it in a while because I want to get through these sample sizes first.
Bottom Line: would repurchase!

And that closes off the first empties post of 2016! 14 items done is quite an accomplishment, if I do say so myself (okay I cheated a bit but let's ignore that...). I used up several products throughout the year but threw the packaging away since I was moving. I wrote a list down in a notebook so I'll mention them in next month's post since this one is already quite long. Feeling so accomplished seeing all these leave my stash. Some of the perfumes still have product in them but fragrance is one thing I cannot suck up and deal with so they're going in the bin. 

What products have you finished up this month?
 Anyone feel accomplished when they go through a mascara?


XOXO,
Cindy ♥





No comments