Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

FOTD | Sparkly Purple Prom Makeup 2.0

I meant to post this up waaaay earlier than this to make it in time for prom season, #storyofmylife, BUT if your prom has already passed, take this as a #throwbackThursday! My senior year prom was back in 2011, which isn't that long ago, now that I think about it...I was adamant about doing my own look after a friend's quinceanera fiasco a year back. At the time, I was super proud of my look, evidenced by my wide smile. I usually don't smile as wide anymore but I was also ecstatic about getting my braces off in time for prom, haha. 

While my 2011 look isn't horrendous, there are many things I would improve upon, like my base makeup, which was virtually nothing, and eyeshadow. So, I decided to call my updated look "Sparkly Prom Makeup 2.0", abbreviated to SPM 2.0 for future reference. Unfortunately, I no longer remember or have the original items used in SPM 1.0 so I substituted with items readily available in 2016. So with improved product formulas and additional experience, I'll walk you through my updated look! 
FOTD | Sparkly Purple Prom Makeup 2.0, laura mercier eye artist's palette, vanilla nuts, african violet, plum smoke, violet ink, kat von d tattoo liner trooper
Oh gosh, the nostalgia of 17-year old Cindy...

OVERVIEW


So this is an overview of all the items used in SPM 2.0. I used mainly high end items because that's what I have, but feel free to substitute with your preferred items! Since these photos are forever immortalized, I would stick to products you know and love rather than experimenting. If you are going to try new items, I would do a test drive at least 3 weeks in advance to see how you'll react, wear time, etc.
FOTD | Sparkly Purple Prom Makeup 2.0, laura mercier eye artist's palette, vanilla nuts, african violet, plum smoke, violet ink, kat von d tattoo liner trooper

FACE

FOTD | Sparkly Purple Prom Makeup 2.0, laura mercier eye artist's palette, vanilla nuts, african violet, plum smoke, violet ink, kat von d tattoo liner trooper
 Close-up of face products and brushes used:

  • Primer: Smashbox Photo Finish Blemish Control Primer
  • Foundation: Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation in shade 3.0
  • Foundation Brush: Real Techniques Buffing Brush
  • Concealer: Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in Light
  • Contour: Christie Formulations Contour Kit
  • Contour Brush: Real Techniques Contour Brush
  • Blush: Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Exposed
  • Blush Brush: e.l.f. Complexion Brush
urban decay naked skin foundation in 3.0

I didn't bother with face makeup but looking back, I would've applied a bit of concealer and powder to cover redness and control shine. But my skin looked pretty good back then!
  1. Skin Prep: I washed my face and gently exfoliated with a textured cotton round soaked in toner. Since my skin can dry out when I use mattifying formulas, I applied an ampoule before my moisturizer. 
  2. Prime+Foundation: I had a few pimples around my nose so I went in with a blemish control primer. Not sure if it works but I know it doesn't dry out my skin yet helps my foundation apply smoother over bumpy skin. Then I went in with a lightweight foundation. I'm aiming to even out my skintone since my chin and forehead are darker than the center of my face #naturalcontour. After adequately buffing in my foundation, I went over any blemishes and redness still peeking through with a concealer that matches my skin. 
  3. I like to let my foundation settle in before I finish my base, so let's move onto the eyes!

EYES
FOTD | Sparkly Purple Prom Makeup 2.0, laura mercier eye artist's palette, vanilla nuts, african violet, plum smoke, violet ink, kat von d tattoo liner trooper

Close-up of eye products and tools used:
  • Primer: Too Faced Shadow Insurance
  • Eyebrow: e.l.f. Studio Eyebrow Kit in Dark
  • Eyeshadow: Laura Mercier Eye Artist's Palette
  • Eyeshadow Brush: Tarte Dual-ended Eyeshadow Brush
  • Liner Brush: e.l.f. Small Precision Brush
  • Blending Brush: bubbi Blending Brush
  • Eyeliner: Kat von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper
  • Mascara: Too Faced Better than Sex Mascara
  • Eye curler: Tarte Picture Perfect Eyelash Curler
  • Concealer: Maybelline Fit Me in Light 
FOTD | Sparkly Purple Prom Makeup 2.0, laura mercier eye artist's palette, vanilla nuts, african violet, plum smoke, violet ink, kat von d tattoo liner trooper

  1. Eye Prep: After priming my eyes, I applied a skin-tone shadow all over to set it. Next, I went in with a matte grey-toned purple in my crease.
  2. Lid: For the lid, I went in with a purple sprinkled with gold eyeshadow all over. Stay under the socket line.
  3. Drama: To deepen the look, I went in with a matte dark purple in the outer corner. Apply in an upward V-shape for an uplifted look. I find this shape to be the most flattering on my hooded slightly downturned eyes. 
  4. Liner: After blending to my heart's content, I applied a winged liner, evening the line with the same color used in the outer corner.
  5. Lashes: When I was satisfied with how everything looked, I curled my lashes and applied a generous coat of a volumizing and lengthening mascara. I would've applied false lashes but my eyes were watering badly due to allergies. Feel free to add them in your look!
  6. Finishing Touches: I applied a shimmering pale pink eyeshadow in my inner corner for a brightened effect. Adding a touch of concealer to cover and brighten my under eye circles completes the look. 

LIPS

benefit lollitint bareminerals sparkplug lipgloss

 Close-up of items used:

  • Tint: Benefit Lollitint
  • Lip gloss: BareMineral Marvelous Moxie Lipgloss in Sparkplug
While I'm dancing and eating the night away, I don't want to have to worry about my lips fading. So, I applied an orchid pink tint to my entire lips. My lips are super dry so I layered a sparkly pink lipgloss on top for comfort and a plumping effect.

FINISHED LOOK


FOTD | Sparkly Purple Prom Makeup 2.0, laura mercier eye artist's palette, vanilla nuts, african violet, plum smoke, violet ink, kat von d tattoo liner trooper

  1. Define: Since I don't want my face to look flat, I added a soft contour around the perimeter of my face: chin, cheek and forehead. I also contoured my nose. It looked harsher in life but looks fine in pictures. I usually err on the side of less is more so while the makeup looks great in person, it doesn't show up in photos.
  2. Blush: Because there'll be dancing in close quarters at prom, I didn't want to apply too much blush. For me, I tend to get red on my own, haha.
  3. Lock in Place: To set everything, I would add powder and a setting spray for extra lasting power. I didn't because I forgot...but make sure you don't! you wouldn't want all your hard work to go to waste.

 I took these photos in natural daylight but most proms happen during the evening in low light. So, I opted for matte everything except the eyes and lips because I couldn't resist the sparkle. I can't believe I forgot to apply highlighter but that might be for the best...I remember looking quite shiny at my prom after a few hours of dancing. I wasn't able to take these photos with flash in the dark (I forgot, bad blogger!) but I remember it still looking good once my natural oils started showing. 

Bring blotting sheets and a concealer to do touch-ups! Other essentials: lip product(s), tickets, perfume, bandages, and cotton swabs (for eye messes). Honestly, though, I didn't because I was focusing on other things, haha. But looking back, I should've brought along oil blotting sheets.

And that's it! I'm super happy about my upgraded look but next year, I'd probably find ways to improve...like using highlighter and setting the makeup! Most importantly, have fun and enjoy, even if you end up looking like a hot mess by the end of the night. :)

What looks did y'all wear on your prom? 
Comment your photos below! I'd love to see everyone's looks:). 
If you don't have prom where you live, what would your makeup be like?


XOXO,
Cindy ♥



No comments