Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

FOTD | "Gilded Onyx": using the Lorac Pro Metals Palette

FOTD Gilded Onyx Lorac Pro Metals Palette demi lovato cool for the summer makeup look
Photos via screengrab from Demi Lovato's music video "Cool for the Summer" (2015) 
Hey everyone! I'm a bit embarrassed that this post is barely coming now since I promised it 2 weeks ago but personal issues and not having my laptop for the past week hindered my plans greatly. Anyhoo, it's here now, just in time for the weekend! 

I'm a huge Demi Lovato fan so this was a must! I had planned to go all out and recreate the actual look in the video but as I am no Jill Powell Glam, I decided to go for a toned-down version that takes less time so you can spend more time partying or whatever people do on weekends. xD Since I've been holding onto the Lorac Pro Metals Palette (review) for a while, I decided to just go for it and use it in a look, finally. 

I'm not much of a smoky or dramatic eye person but I really wanted to push my limits and do something fun. Interestingly enough, when I first started playing with makeup, I actually went all out and used tons of color...funny how I rarely go outside of neutral these days. Rambling about how I got into makeup or my early days is nostalgic and all but  I'm sure you all want to see how this look is done, haha.FOTD Gilded Onyx Lorac Pro Metals Palette demi lovato cool for the summer makeup look
 Step 1: After priming my eyes with Urban Decay's Primer Potion, I used Urban Decay's Cover from the Naked 2 Basics Palette (review) in my crease to help the black blend later on.

Step 2: Using a shimmery black eyeshadow on a small, pencil brush, apply in a V-shape on the outer corners and inner corners, leaving the center blank. Slowly build up the color because you don't want fallout or too much all at once. Don't worry if it looks harsh or isn't in the right shape--we'll correct that in a later step.

Step 3: Using a metallic yellow gold eyeshadow on a slightly damp paddle brush, apply it to the center of your lids, focusing the color in the center and then overlapping the black slightly. It's probably looking a bit harsh at the stage but keep on going!

Step 4: Using a clean blending brush, blend where the black and gold meet, being careful not to use wide motions as that will cause the colors to go muddy. At this stage, if the colors aren't as vibrant as you like, add more until you get the intensity you desire. Adding color is easier than taking it off. Lucky for us, this look is quite intense so it won't look too out of place if there's too much shadow. 

Step 5: Using my trusty MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Eyes in 0L (review), I carefully rimmed my upper and lower waterline. Next, I applied a shimmery black on my inner and outer lash line, leaving the center blank. Put a metallic gold in the center, blending it with the black on either side to create a cohesive look. To complete the eyes, apply your favorite mascara; in my case, I used Dior Iconic Overcurl Mascara to lengthen and separate my lashes. If you were overzealous in your blending like I was, that's okay! With a little bit of eye cream or micellar water on a cotton bud, wipe the mistakes and edges for a clean look. 
FOTD Gilded Onyx Lorac Pro Metals Palette demi lovato cool for the summer makeup look
Step 6: For the face, I first primed with my Smashbox Blemish Control Primer, focusing on my t-zone. 

Step 7: Giving the primer ample time to settle, I next went in with a light dusting of a translucent powder. Might be weird for some people but I'll let wonderful Wayne Goss explain it. I then applied a dewy foundation. For that, I used the Tarte Amazonian Colored Clay Liquid Foundation in Light (review)

Step 8: To mimic a great summer glow, I first went in with a warm, satin-finish bronzer. BareMineral's Ready Set Bronzer in Skinny Dip (unboxing) served this purpose perfectly. I went in with a fluffy brush for a diffused look, hitting the temples, forehead, cheeks, jawline and a touch on my nose. Skipping blush entirely, I added a shimmery bronze highlighter on the high points of my face: center of the forehead, tops of eyebrows, nose bridge, top of the cheekbones, and center of the chin. The Makeup Revolution Radiant Light in Glow is my top choice because it aids the bronze while adding a considerable glow without the glitter.

Step 9: It's a bit difficult for me to discern what color was used on the lips so I went with my own feelings. I first put down a layer of Noyah Lipstick in Deeply Mauve (unboxing), a brown-y mauve. It wasn't what I wanted so I topped it off with L'Oreal Collection Privee Lipstick in J Lo's Nude (review), a medium peach color to lighten it up. Highly satisfied with this color! You could add translucent powder to mattify the lips to go with the video  but my lips were dry and peeling so I left the shine. 

And that's it! I'm super happy with this look, especially since I never go dramatic with my looks anymore. This is only the second time I've ever experimented with such a look and black never features prominently in my eye makeup. Looking back, I would've looked for a more glittery gold eyeshadow. False lashes and those sequins and gold stars would also make the look feel more glamorous but as I have trouble with lashes and couldn't find the appropriate decorations, I went without it. Feel free to add those those to stay true to the actual look! Demi's makeup was flawless and gorgeous as well but with the numerous videos on Youtube showing how it's done, I didn't want to be repetitive. If you do recreate this look, please tag me in them (pretty please with a cherry on top)!

P.S. I would also apply bronzer down my neck. Cohesiveness people!

P.P.S. Just realized that the screenshots are from two different people...oh well, choose whatever decorations you want for your own lash line or go bare like me!

XOXO,
MWAH ♥



No comments