Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

PRODUCT SMACKDOWN | L'Oreal's Caring Coral vs BareMinerals' Party Starter

PRODUCT SMACKDOWN | L'Oreal's colour riche balm Caring Coral vs BareMinerals' Marvelous moxie lip gloss Party Starter review and swatches
 Corals are one of my favorite summertime colors. Orangey corals like the bareMinerals Marvelous Moxie Lipgloss in Party Starter is my go-to summer lip color for cracked lips days. I'm not a fan of lipglosses but they do have their benefits. For a consistently dry-lipped girl like me, they work much better than matte formulas but I cannot stand the stickiness. I have long hair and being in a windy climate makes lipgloss much more trouble than it's worth. That's why I'm so excited that I found a similar color at a drugstore price--the L'Oreal Colour Riche Balm in Caring Coral! P.S. Product Smackdowns aren't exactly about finding dupes; it's more about finding products that serve a similar purpose and in this case, about finding my perfect orangey coral, moisturizing product. :) Let's move onto the comparison!

PRODUCT SMACKDOWN | L'Oreal's colour riche balm Caring Coral vs BareMinerals' Marvelous moxie lip gloss Party Starter review and swatches

 [THE BREAKDOWN]

I reviewed the L'Oreal Color Riche Balms (review) a couple days ago so head on over there for more info. The gist of it is that the balms are lightweight and hydrating with just enough color to show up on my pigmented lips. Shade range includes 8 colors. They'll set you back $7.99usd for 0.10oz ($79usd per oz). The BareMinerals Marvelous Moxie Lipglosses (review) are one of the few lipglosses I can  tolerate. They aren't weightless but aren't uncomfortably sticky either. They last well on my lips and do show up despite the sheer color. These come in 18 colors. At $18usd a pop, they aren't cheap but do contain 0.15oz of product ($120usd per oz). Price-wise, L'Oreal takes the cake!

[PACKAGING]

Caring Coral comes a traditional swivel-up tube. The gold tube is luxurious-looking and the color coordinate cap makes it easy to tell what color you're grabbing for. I've never had a problem with it coming off in my bag so we're solid. Party Starter is in a traditional lip gloss tube. The special thing about it is the slanted applicator. It's longer than most but thin so I don't go outside of my lip lines. It does pick up more gloss than I need since I usually wear it sheerer. Packaging is different on each but they function as they should--a draw!

[FORMULA & FEEL]

Stating the obvious, Caring Coral is a tinted balm and Party Starter is a lip gloss. However, they are both slick in feel; there's never any tugging or problems with blending out the color. Caring Coral is composed of emollients, a mix of synthetic ones, shea butter, and rose canina fruit and argan oils. The oils are toward the end of the ingredients list so I don't think much of the hydration can be attributed to it. I thought I'd mention that this balm contains petrolatum. I have no qualms about it but I know many out there would rather not use products with petrolatum in it. There's also SPF, great for everyday! Party Starter also contain a variety of emollients like shea and avocado butter alongside synthetic emollients. However, Party Starter contains peppermint oil and methone glycerin acetal; these provide fragrance but also plumps the lips by increasing circulation. I'm not a fan of plumping products as I hate stinging of any kind but this isn't painful like the Buxom Lip Polishes. This also contains lavender oil so for those who are allergic to any of these ingredients, I'd avoid this product. Both products have a hydrating formula that doesn't cause my lips to peel or chap. None of them contains glitter or shimmer--pure cream finish for the win. However, Caring Coral isn't sticky no matter how much product I layer on so I have to give it to L'Oreal this round.

[SCENT]

I don't detect any scent from Caring Coral. I know some people prefer to have scentless products but I like scented lip products. Party Starter has a pepperminty vanilla scent that reminds me of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Speaking of which, I could really go for some ice cream right about now...It's 88 degrees Fahrenheit but feels like 100 Fahrenheit. But you're not here for my ice cream lemmings so let's get on with the post >.< I have to give it to bareMinerals but this is more personal preference.

PRODUCT SMACKDOWN | L'Oreal's colour riche balm Caring Coral vs BareMinerals' Marvelous moxie lip gloss Party Starter review and swatches

[APPLICATION & PIGMENTATION]

Application for both is easy and simple. Caring Coral is can be built up to almost opaque color if you're willing to layer on a bunch of product. Even then, it doesn't feel heavy but gives a rather nice and luscious look to the lips. Party Starter can be the color shown in the swatch but it starts to feel a bit heavy and gloopy so I never wear it that thick out and about. Both colors are actually on the more pigmented side in their respective ranges. Even when my lips aren't in tip-top condition, they don't emphasize the unevenness or dryness. Even so, I have to give it to bareMinerals because it takes less work to get full color. 

[WEAR TIME]

As both are on the sheer, hydrating side, don't expect all-day flawlessness. With Party Starter, color is visible until I eat but the moisture stays around for an additional 3 hours before I feel like I have to reapply. Caring Coral stays on my lips for 3 hours but moisture only sticks around for 1 hour after the color has faded, 2 hours tops before I'm itching for a reapplication. I've worn both to sleep and color and moisture does stick around until I wake up 7-8 hours later. However, that's with no talking, eating or drinking, obviously, so yeah, wouldn't say these are the most long lasting lip colors but they are quite moisturizing without being pretentious. 

[THE BOTTOM LINE]

I'd recommend both really! Color-wise, both are similar but depending on your formula preference, you'd pick one or the other (or as I have--both!). Because of the price, ease of application, formula, and availability, I'd repurchase Caring Coral over Party Starter but that's not to say Party Starter is going to be rotting in a bin somewhere. ;)

[WHERE TO BUY]

L'Oreal Colour Riche Balm || buy
bareMinerals Marvelous Moxie Lipgloss || bareescentuals | feelunique | sephora | skinstore

Do you have products where you love the color but not the formula? 
I tend to put up with it or tweak it a little with balms and powders but eventually, 
I know I probably won't use it much because it takes a lot of work.

XOXO,
MWAH ♥


No comments