Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

REVIEW | LORAC Pro Metals Palette *Limited Edition*

Cobalt, Clover, Amber, Gilded, Onyx, Graphite, Rose Gold and Quartz swatches and review lorac pro metal eyeshadow palette limited edition fall 2015 dupes
As I'm sure you all are aware by now, I'm a sucker when it comes to Lorac eyeshadows. I haven't come across a formula I like more so when I see a new release, I'm on it like bees and honey. I wasn't going to get this palette at first but seeing the swatches, I couldn't resist! So let's get into the review :D


{THE BREAKDOWN}

First of all, the packaging. I appreciate that LORAC's packaging is simple and no-fuss. To play off the "metals" name, the chrome colored cardboard is a nice touch that stays in line with their usual packaging. The palette is slightly larger than half of an original palette even though it contains half the number of shadows. Price-wise, this palette is a bit higher per oz at $28usd for 0.144oz ($194.44usd per oz) vs the original palettes' $42usd for 0.32oz ($131.25usd per oz) but I can overlook that because it's limited edition.

The ingredients list is interesting. Apparently, these shadows are infused with lemon peel extract, cucumber fruit extract and parsley extract. The original shadows also contain these extracts and while I'm all for innovative ingredients, lemon peel extract makes me a bit nervous to put these shadows near my eyes. I mean, I haven't had a problem but if you're allergic to any of these ingredients, you should avoid the shadows.

As with most LORAC eyeshadows I've tried, the shadows are a dream to work with. They are buildable yet easy to blend. A difference I've noticed is that they aren't prone to fallout like the shimmer shadows in the original palette. I actually like this formula because I don't have to worry about the dark shades being too much all at once but the lighter shades are the usual pigmented and buttery smoothness I've come to expect and love from LORAC.

As I never wear shadows without eye primer, I don't know how well they'll work without but with primer, I have no creasing or fading even after 8 hours of wear. I primarily use brushes to apply and I didn't get fallout when using a patting motion. Fingers do pack on the colors nicely though. 
Cobalt, Clover, Amber, Gilded, Onyx, Graphite, Rose Gold and Quartz swatches and review lorac pro metal eyeshadow palette limited edition fall 2015 dupes

{THE SWATCH}

Cobalt, Clover, Amber, Gilded, Onyx, Graphite, Rose Gold and Quartz swatches and review lorac pro metal eyeshadow palette limited edition fall 2015 dupes All 8 shades are shimmer but the shimmer content varies from shade to shade. Rose Gold and Amber,  have a creamy, foiled effect to them that's reminiscent of LPP's Gold shadow. Quartz, Gilded, Clover and Graphite are right in the middle; they're shimmery but not as soft or intense as Rose Gold and Amber. Onyx and Cobalt are more of a satin finish and on the less pigmented side. Even though all the shadows contain shimmer, the varying intensities help to make contrasting looks. 
Cobalt, Clover, Amber, Gilded, Onyx, Graphite, Rose Gold and Quartz swatches and review lorac pro metal eyeshadow palette limited edition fall 2015
from left to right: Cobalt, Clover, Amber, Gilded, Onyx, Graphite, Rose Gold and Quartz
Cobalt is a pearly, bright dark blue. Despite the horrible swatch above, it's pigmented enough but I like to pick up a little at a time, build it up slowly as dark colors can be trickier to work with. It's not as dark as LPP2 Navy.

Clover is a shimmery pistachio with gold shimmer throughout. Not much more to say other than that this will look nice in the fall. It's a unique shade in my collection. :D LPP2 Jade is similar in terms of finish but is more of a burnished olive. 

Amber is a metallic coppery gold color that brings to mind the sticky tree resin. It's quite an easily dupeable color within the LORAC shadows but the formula is one of the best. LPP Gold is the closest in terms of color but Amber is slightly more orange.

Gilded is a shimmery, daffodil yellow color. I don't like how some golds have too much orange in it but this one is just yellow.

Onyx is a matte black base with silver sparkle. The sparkles don't stick well on my lids so it functions as a matte black. I usually have trouble using blacks as they can be patchy but this one is pigmented and blends well. LMPP Caviar is similar but Caviar has multicolored sparkles and not as sparkly.

Graphite is a shimmery, silvered taupe. It reminds me of mushrooms and is definitely a Cindy color. I couldn't find an exact dupe of it within the LORAC range but it looks similar to many other taupes I have.

Rose Gold is a true, metallic rose gold. It gives off a wet, foiled appearance to my lids that I've come to adore. Definitely my favorite shadow in this palette! It's not as rosy as LUP Unbelievable but isn't coppery like LPP2 Mocha.

Quartz is a shimmery white. It's not a stark white like LPP2 Snow but isn't warm like LMPP Opal. Very brightening on the inner corners. 

{THE DUPES}

Cobalt, Clover, Amber, Gilded, Onyx, Graphite, Rose Gold and Quartz swatches and review lorac pro metal eyeshadow palette limited edition fall 2015 dupes

Cobalt, Clover, Amber, Gilded, Onyx, Graphite, Rose Gold and Quartz swatches and review lorac pro metal eyeshadow palette limited edition fall 2015 dupes

{THE BOTTOM LINE}

I love this palette! I've been experimenting with darker, smoky looks and this palette has just the colors for that. Even though the colors look jumbled at first, they work well with one another. My favorite combos are Rose Gold all over the lid + Quartz in the middle of the lid & inner corners + Graphite on the outer corners, Cobalt/Onyx in inner & outer corner + Amber/Gilded in the center of the lid. I haven't played much with Clover as I'm a noob when it comes to green so let me know how you like to wear green; girlfriend needs some tips.

And that's it for this post! I love how LORAC makes colors easier to wear. As a color-averse person, this palette helps me step out of my comfort zone and try new looks. I wouldn't say everyone needs this palette but if you're just dipping your toes into color makeup, I think this is a great palette to try out. I tend to look at this palette and see smoky looks but everyday looks can be created with this too. If you're not a fan of shimmer, this palette might not be for you but as the shimmers are subdued, a swatching session couldn't hurt. 

I usually include a Look with every review but I have a more detailed post on the look I created using this palette that I'll post tomorrow. It's already 9PM PST so I should go get some dinner. Let me know what time it is where y'all are at--I'm curious!

{WHERE TO BUY}

Pro Metal || ulta
Pro Matte || lorac | ulta

XOXO,
MWAH ♥


No comments