Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

UNBOXING | Holika Holika Memebox

I'm sure most of you have heard of both MEMEBOX and Holika Holika by now if you've dabbled in Korean makeup. This box is one of my favorites as I've been able to get use out of all the items, which is rare for me in mystery subscription boxes. Featuring mostly makeup, keep on reading to see swatches and my thoughts :)

Aloe Soothing Gel -- $7usd for 250 ml/8.45oz ($0.83usd per oz)
Aloe vera is one of my favorite ingredients in skincare. Not only is the scent pleasant but it is highly moisturizing. This one by Holika Holika has the texture down but the scent is synthetic, not in a bad way but not authentic. I cannot read the ingredients as it's all in Korean. I've used it twice now as a nighttime moisturizer and a little bit goes a long way. Texture is a liquid-y gel so it sinks in quickly. Moisture content is not enough for my dehydrated skin this winter but I think I'll love it in the summer. Free from BHT, parabens, mineral oil, benzophenone, and artificial coloring, this multi-use gel can also be used as a soothing pack (mask), facial cream, hair mask, hair essence, foot and hand essence, eye patch, aftershave gel, body soothing gel and more.

Aqua Petite Jelly Starter -- $16usd for 40ml/1.35oz ($11.85usd per oz)
The ever-famous HH Aqua Petite Jelly BB Cream has a companion in this primer of sorts. It also has a light pink hue but there's a slight golden shimmer running throughout this starter. Now it doesn't prolong makeup or anything but it does hydrate my skin. I love mixing it into my foundations for that Korean dewy, translucent skin, 촉촉한, which translates to "plump and moist". The instructions say to apply it with the included latex sponge but as you can see in the swatch, the effect is quite subtle and barely perceptible. Adding foundation over it completely covers any luminizing effect the product could have. I mix equal amounts of this starter and my foundation--below, I used L'Oreal True Match Liquid Makeup. In person, the effect is lovely but in photos, it can come off as oily. I almost didn't want to set my makeup but the foundation starts to slide and slip on my skin after a hour or two. Another reason I love this jelly starter is that it seems to color correct my slightly orange foundations. Definitely a favorite from this box and will get loads of use out of it!

Heartful Moisture Lipstick in PK121 Pink Love -- $9usd for 3.8g/0.13oz ($69.23 usd per oz)
The selection was from 3 colors and  I received the pink one. It's a blue-based hot pink color. I don't like this color on me as it tends to clash with my skintone and look chalky. I did wear it out anyway and this is one of the only lip products that leave my lips better off after I take it off. Moisture stuck around for 3 hours but color was vibrant until I ate. It's completely covered the tone of my lips in one swipe but I prefer a lighter look as it doesn't look good on my skintone. The satin finish makes it feel very comfortable on chapped lips. Last but not least, the heart-shaped bullet is sooo cute--totally want to try the other colors!
UNBOXING | Holika Holika Memebox, aloe gel, bb soda pore deep cleansing oil, heartful moisture lipstick, aqua petite jelly starter, jewel light shimmer eyeshadow in milk tea, jewel light shimmer eyes in olive peridot swatches

Jewel Light Waterproof Eyeliner in 06 Olive Peridot -- $6 usd for 2.2g/0.08oz ($75 usd per oz)
I have a slight aversion to green eyeliners but this one is a lovely hunter green with gold sparkles. The gold sparkles didn't fall down my face or into my eyes thankfully. Blendable, creamy and pigmented, once set, it doesn't budge. With some Western pencil liners, I get a ring on the top of my lids where my liner rubs against my slightly hooded lids but I didn't have that problem with this liner. I haven't fully tested out the waterproof claim but I tear up a lot throughout the day but my eyeliner stayed put! When it came time to take off my makeup, it removed easily with the Lancome Bi-Facil Double-Action Eye Makeup Remover. I have a couple others that I haven't tried out yet but I will have a review and swatches of those other liners coming soon!

Jewel Light Shimmer Eyes in SBR07 Milk Tea -- $5 usd for 2g/0.07oz ($71.43 usd per oz)
This is only the second eyeshadow I've tried from Korean makeup brands and I'm liking what I've seen so far. It's a matte warm light brown color. It's a great contouring shade for my skintone. The texture is soft and silky but it adheres well to the skin. I'm guilty of not blending my shadows enough but this one only needed to blend a little bit to diffuse the edge. Not the most intensely pigmented shadow I've experienced but Koreans like a lighter look when it comes to makeup. While I like this shadow, I still think LORAC makes the best matte shadows.

Soda Pore BB Deep Cleansing Oil -- $17 usd for 150ml/6.07 oz ($3.35 usd per oz)
I already had one of these cleansing oils because I've heard Korean Youtubers raving about this oil--and the hype is real with this one! I've tried two other cleansing oils and what I've noticed is this one has the perfect viscosity to it. The thickness allows me to use less product but it isn't so thick that it becomes hard to rub over my face. It also removes my makeup well--I hardly get any residue on my cotton pad when I tone afterwards. I will have a review on this item really soon so sit tight!
UNBOXING | Holika Holika Memebox, aloe gel, bb soda pore deep cleansing oil, heartful moisture lipstick, aqua petite jelly starter, jewel light shimmer eyeshadow in milk tea, jewel light shimmer eyes in olive peridot swatches
Neon Beam Eyes in Momo Pink -- $4 usd for 10ml/0.34oz ($11.76 usd per oz)
I'm sure you all know that I love doing my nails. This neon shade of pink isn't what I normally go for but it emphasizes my tanned skin. It feels a little out of place right now during winter but I think I'll get more use out of it during summer. One coat is not quite opaque so two thin coats provides the best result. It dries fairly quickly so for my impatient peeps out there, you're good to go! Another interesting aspect is this polish will glow under a blacklight but I don't have one to test that for y'all :(

Sweet Cotton Pore Cover Powder -- $9 usd for 6.5g/0.23oz ($39.13usd per oz)
Aside from the adorable packaging, this reminds me of the MUFE HD Powder. It's a white powder that mattifies my face without drying it out. I'm not a fan of loose powder but I haven't had problems with this leaking or flying everywhere. I think it's a bit denser than the MUFE but I like it because it doesn't become dusty. The included puff is useful for touch ups and application. The small size is appreciated for travel. I haven't tried taking flash photos to see if it flashes back but that will be on my to-do list to confirm for y'all once and for all!

THE LOOK

UNBOXING | Holika Holika Memebox, aloe gel, bb soda pore deep cleansing oil, heartful moisture lipstick, aqua petite jelly starter, jewel light shimmer eyeshadow in milk tea, jewel light shimmer eyes in olive jade swatches
FACE
BASE // L'Oreal True Match Liquid Makeup in W3 Sand Beige + Holika Holika Aqua Petite Jelly Starter
POWDER // Holika Holika Sweet Pore Cover Powder

EYES
PRIMER // Tarte Clean Slate 360 Creaseless Smoothing Eye Primer
EYESHADOW // Holika Holika Jewel Light Shimmer Eyes in Milk Tea
EYELINER // Holika Holika Jewel Light Waterproof Liner in Olive Peridot
MASCARA // Heroine Make Long and Curl + Revlon Grow Luscious WP Mascara
EYEBROW//elf Studio Eyebrow Kit in Dark

LIPS
LIPSTICK // Holika Holika Heartfull Moisture Lipstick in Pink Love
UNBOXING | Holika Holika Memebox, aloe gel, bb soda pore deep cleansing oil, heartful moisture lipstick, aqua petite jelly starter, jewel light shimmer eyeshadow in milk tea, jewel light shimmer eyes in olive jade swatches

OTHER THOUGHTS 


All the items are full sized. I paid $38.99usd for this box. Considering that the value of the items is $73 usd and all the items are full sized, that's not a bad deal. As I mentioned before, this has been my favorite box as it introduced me to a lot of new items I never would have picked up on my own. I have three more MEMEBOX unboxings to share with you over this month so keep your eyes peeled for those! They've recently changed their shipping policy to only within the US and Korea, I believe so that's unfortunate. 

BOTTOM LINE

I am consistently happy with the items in each box I buy. There are some misses but overall, I love MEMEBOX and would purchase more when one catches my attention. 

WHERE TO BUY

MEMEBOX || USA

Have you tried out the MEMEBOX? 
I feel like I'm addicted to these boxes!

XOXO,
MWAH ♥

2 comments

  1. You got some great things! The shadow is a nice shade. Ooo pretty nail polish! I just got a Memebox and am still testing some stuff out. It's mostly only skincare, but I'm liking it so far.



    ahintofbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah definitely hit the random jackpot with this one. I originally wished that I have gotten one of the shimmery shadows but this matte one is great for quick looks and dimension in one! Oooh, I'd love to see what was in your Memebox!

    ReplyDelete