Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

REVIEW | Makeup Geek Pigments


REVIEW | Makeup Geek Pigments utopia, insomnia, enchanted, birthday wish
I admit, I'm not a fan of pigments. Being a slightly clumsy person, loose powders scary the makeup beejeesus out of me. However, I heard so many good things about Makeup Geek Pigments and decided to take a leap of faith. I ordered four pigments to start off: Birthday Wish, Enchanted, Insomnia, and Utopia.


PACKAGING on these have greatly improved since they were first launched. There's a sifter with a tiny opening to allow a pencil brush into. There's less of a mess as you can gently shake the pigment into the cap and swirl your chosen brush into it. As I mentioned before, I'm loose powder-adverse so I actually pressed my pigment using this video tutorial. While they aren't the exact consistency I like, I re-press them when they get a bit too loose. Moving back on track, packaging on these are standard for pigments and I don't get any leaking or cracks.

What finally compelled me to try these pigments is the FINISH and PIGMENTATION. Since these are the first pigments I've ever tried, I can understand the appeal. No words need be said as the pictures below will speak for themselves. I only need the tiniest amount to get a super intense look. I've used the pigments loose and pressed--both methods are quite full color. I don't get fallout IF I use a small amount and a patting motion. These blend and sheer out beautifully on their own so I don't have to worry about harsh lines. Even though the FINISH is quite shimmery, bordering on glittery, it doesn't make my eyes look dry and crepe-y. Rather, I get a wet, editorial look that doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes. I don't need to wet my brush beforehand to get a pigmented look. If you happen to experience fall out or patchiness using pigments, I suggest using a tacky base or wetting you brush with eye drops or mixing medium. WEAR TIME for me with a primer is all day, 8-10 hours. I never wear eye makeup without a primer because I have such oily eyelids. 
REVIEW | Makeup Geek Pigments utopia, insomnia, enchanted, birthday wish

SWATCHES 

Birthday Wish is described as a shimmery light gold peach. On my skin tone, it leans coppery. This one seemed to be the least glittery out of the four but it's great for subtle, day looks. Formula and everything on this is solid so if you like coppery, lightly shimmery pigments, this one is great!

Enchanted is a light plum shimmer. I love the reddish undertone as it adds dimension to my eye. I'm  always on the lookout for a good purple shadow because some are not the right undertone for me or are patchy. 

Utopia is a mixture of antique gold glitter and deep brown. I found this pigment to be chunkier than the powder formula of the other three. However, this didn't create any fallout so two thumbs up! I wasn't expecting to like this one but it turned out to be my favorite for a smokey look, like the one I demo-ed below. 

Insomnia is a dark chocolate duo-chrome with blue teal reflects. I love the effect that this one gives because it reminds me of how the sun reflects off on a lake or ocean. I've heard that it's a dupe for the MAC Blue Brown Pigment but I don't have that one for comparison. I do however, have the Wet N Wild Comfort Zone Palette and the definer shade in the lower right corner is quite similar. Insomnia has less red and more of a turquoise reflect than the Wet N Wild's aqua reflect. The best way to make this shadow pop is to use it over my bare lid. When I use primer, it doesn't seem as pigmented so I like to layer a dark brown base underneath to enhance the color but also reap the benefit of eye primers. This is perfect for one shadow looks as it can be sheered out into the crease as the transition color too. 
REVIEW | Makeup Geek Pigments utopia, insomnia, enchanted, birthday wish swatches

THE LOOK

I took these photos a while ago so I don't remember much of the base makeup but I listed some things I remember below. However, I hope the looks show off how awesome they are :D

LIPS // Tarte Lipsurgence Lipgloss + Power Pigment in Exposed
MASCARA // Heroine Make Long & Curl Mascara + Revlon Grow Luscious WP Mascara
EYESHADOW PRIMER // Tarte 360 Creaseless Smoothing Eye Primer
EYEBROW // Etude House Drawing Eyebrow in 02
UNDEREYE CONCEALER // Skinfood Dark Circle Salmon Concealer in 02
Makeup Geek Pigment in Birthday Wish swatches
LID // Birthday Wish Pigment

Makeup Geek Pigment in Enchanted swatches
LID // Enchanted Pigment
CREASE // Unexpected Shadow
INNER CORNER // Stila In the Know Palette Air Shadow
OUTER CORNER // Prom Night Shadow
UPPER LASH LINE // Sensuous Shadow

Makeup Geek Pigment in Utopia swatches
LID // Utopia Shadow
CREASE // Stila In the Know Palette Rain Shadow
OUTER CORNER // Stila In the Know Palette Ebony Shadow

Makeup Geek Pigment in Insomnia swatches
LID // Insomnia Pigment
CREASE // Stila In the Know Palette Fire Shadow

OTHER THOUGHTS

Each pot weighs in at 2g/0.07 oz for only $6.99usd ($99.86usd per oz) but since I only need the teeniest bit, these will last forever! Currently, there's 14 colors in the range. Some of the lighter ones can also be used for highlight so you can get more uses out of your pigment. I had an idea to mix and match pigments to create my own custom colors but I'll let you know how that experiment works out!

BOTTOM LINE

I highly recommend these Makeup Geek Pigments! They are long lasting even without a primer on my oily lids but eye primer will help them last even longer. Price is very affordable and quality is amazing. 


WHERE TO BUY

MAKEUP GEEK PIGMENTS || Buy^
BIRTHDAY WISH || Buy^
ENCHANTED || Buy^
UTOPIA || Buy^
INSOMNIA || Buy^

Have you tried MUG products?
 I'm excited for new product releases, especially her new lip products!
I reviewed the MUG Eyeshadows and 
Foiled Shadows as well :)
XOXO,
MWAH ♥



2 comments

  1. I think you look amazing with these shades on, babe! I particularly love Enchanted and Utopia on you - beautiful looks! And love your hair, btw!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Enchanted and Utopia are definitely my favorites too :) Just cut it recently--not what I had in mind but at least it's even!

    ReplyDelete