Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

REVIEW | Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows

REVIEW | Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows in the spotlight, mesmerized, grandstand, showtime swatches
When I started out in makeup, my favorite makeup products were eyeshadows, especially shimmery ones. I would only wear eyeshadow and no other makeup, LOL. Fast forward 5 years, I'm still loving eyeshadows. When I heard that Makeup Geek was releasing the Foiled Eyeshadows, I immediately rushed to get on the mailing list to pre-order these. Now that I've had some time to play around with these, I'm going to share my thoughts with you! The shades I have are Grandstand, Mesmerized, In the Spotlight, and Showtime.

The Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows are every shimmery shadow lover's dream. FORMULA-WISE, they remind me of a harder, densely packed L'Oreal Infallible 24Hr Eyeshadow. Finger application with the L'Oreal eyeshadows was great but I disliked how they would get loose when I used a brush with them. There's no powderiness or dryness whatsoever with these shadows, so no fallout! These are great with fingers or brush but of course, fingers gives an even more intense look. PIGMENTATION of these shadows are amazing! Two or three swipes gives fully opaque coverage. They blend out well without getting patchy.  PACKAGING on these are simple: just a magnetized pan with the name stuck to the bottom so you will have to find an empty palette to store these. I wore these without primer or anything underneath and they LASTED through most of the day, fading around hour 6 and looking considerably worn at hour 10. That's incredible for me as my oily eyelids usually eat up shadow like Cookie Monster and cookies--much better than the L'Oreal Infallible 24Hr Eyeshadows. I would be interested in seeing how they stand up when the weather warms up or in humid climates.
REVIEW | Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows in the spotlight, mesmerized, grandstand, showtime swatches

THE SWATCHES

As always, they were done without anything sticky underneath, on bare skin, no primer or base. I swirled my finger in each shadow two or three times to pick up pigment. Photos were taken in direct, natural light :)
REVIEW | Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows in the spotlight, mesmerized, grandstand, showtime swatches

In the Spotlight is described as a soft pink with coral undertones and a foiled finish. In the photo online, I expected it to be lighter. In the pan, it looks more coral but on my skin, it's a soft pink indeed. As you build up the color, the coral becomes more visible, especially when the light is not shining on it. While I don't think it's a true duochrome, it mimics that sort of effect: coral in the shade, soft pink in the light. 

Showtime is a rusty brown with warm undertones and a foiled finish. While it looks more like a plummy burgundy in the pan, it does indeed, come off as a warm brown with the slightest hint of burgundy. This one was unique in the 4 that I trialled as it has visible silver shimmers sprinkled throughout a mostly satin matte base. It's also a bit sheer and firmer but that's only in comparison to the other 3. Nevertheless, it performed on par with the other 3--just don't expect a super intense foiled finish like the rest.

Mesmerized is a deep medium taupe with strong purple undertones and a foiled finish. In the pan, it definitely looks more purple than taupe but once swatched, the taupe becomes more visible, especially as I blend the shadow out. Definitely my favorite shade--can't help but love the taupes!

Grandstand is a medium rose gold with slight taupe undertones and a foiled finish. Rose gold was the "it" color in makeup, accessories--you name it--for the past couple of years. Even though gold looks best on me, I love rose gold even more as the slightly rose tinge looks quite feminine. Most eyeshadows that proclaim to be rose gold usually turns copper on my skin tone because of the warm undertone. This one retains its rose quality despite my warm skin undertone, making it a truly special shadow to me. Now I can match my makeup with my accessories, even if that's a bit tacky xD

THE LOOK

I tried my best to showcase how shimmery the shadow looks. It's been a while since I actually took the photos so I don't remember anything I used x.x I'll do my best next time to record the nitty gritty details to let y'all know in case you were curious!
REVIEW | Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows in the spotlight, mesmerized, grandstand, showtime swatches
EYESHADOW // MUG  In the Spotlight 
LIPS // NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien
REVIEW | Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows in the spotlight, mesmerized, grandstand, showtime swatches
EYESHADOW // MUG Showtime
LIPS // NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien


REVIEW | Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows in the spotlight, mesmerized, grandstand, showtime swatches
EYESHADOW // MUG Mesmerized
LIPS // NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien
EYESHADOW // MUG Grandstand
LIPS // NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien

OTHER THOUGHTS 

These currently come in 10 colors but MUG has announced new shades are in the works.  So excited to see the rest, especially since these worked so well for me! Each shadow is $9.99usd for 1.8g/0.064 oz ($156.09usd per oz). She also has a set of all 10 shadows in a bundle if you wanted to pick up all of them. You might get sticker shock at the initial price but if you calculate it, it's like getting a free shadow. Keep in mind, these are all full-sized shadows so it'll cost a bit more.

Her shadows are usually a bit less but the price increase is due to the INGREDIENTS used to make them. Rest assured, they are cruelty, talc, and paraben-free. These aren't necessarily vegan as they may contain carmine, a pigment derived from cochineals, an insect.

I've heard stories that some people's orders arrived broken due to the softness of the shadow. Luckily, mine arrived intact but mine were also pretty firm in the first place. I'm not sure if it's a quality control issue or that mine were re-pressed but I did order after the first wave of orders.

BOTTOM LINE

I would totally recommend these! I'm a fan of shimmery and metallic shadows and these fulfilled my inner magpie tendencies :D Even though I like glittery eyeshadows, they usually irritate my eyes as the sparkles fall into them but  I didn't have this problem with the Foiled Shadows.

 I did like the L'Oreal shadows but the fact that they were so soft and didn't last without a primer on me made them gradually lose favor with me. The Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows escaped all those pitfalls and performs beautifully on my lids without much effort. 

I've previously reviewed the Makeup Geek Eyeshadows and the Makeup Geek Pigments on this blog as well! Read them to find my thoughts + swatches :D

WHERE TO BUY

MAKEUP GEEK FOILED EYESHADOWS || Individual^ | Set of 10 | Set of 10 + Vegas Lights Palette

Have you sampled these shadows? 
What colors would you purchase?

XOXO,
MWAH ♥


2 comments

  1. Love the look you did here! Very light and fresh! :) I still haven't tried anything from the Makeup Geek brand but I hope to change that soon! These look so pigmented and soft! The Mesmerized and Grandstand are totally my color. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks! These were pretty much the shadow themselves so great for one-shadow looks! They aren't as soft as the Lorac shadows but there's no fallout and they are pigmented :D We must be makeup twins as those are my favorites too xD <3

    ReplyDelete