Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

EMPTIES | May 2015 ♡

meme mask intensive moisturizing hydrogel, the body shop smoky poppy body butter, not your mother's clean freak refreshing dry shampoo, caudalie makeup remover cleansing water, supergoop! antioxidant infused sunscreen mist spf 50 review empties
It's that time of the month where I show you all the products that have made it to Beauty Graveyard! It's a smaller bunch than I normally have but makeup and beauty have been the last things on my mind lately with all the hectic personal stuff. Anyhoo, let's get on with the post. :)

MEME Intensive Moisturizing Hydrogel Mask--1 for $3usd / 5 for $10usd / 15 for $30usd
This came for free in the Pony MEMEBOX (unboxing). I'm not much of a mask person but sheet masks are the way to go if you hate spreading gunk all over your face and getting messy. The mask was a jelly, stretchy type that was a bit too big for my face. Either way, the mask was saturated with product and definitely helped boost the moisture levels in my face. I tend to use sheet masks the night before a big event to boost hydration levels. The next morning, I didn't have to use as much moisturizer and my makeup went on smoothly. The effects lasted about 3 days before my face got a bit dry again. The application method was a bit more complicated than other masks but the two pieces ensured a better fit.  
Bottom Line: Would repurchase!

Supergoop! Antioxidant-Infused Sunscreen Mist with Vitamin C Broad Spectrum SPF 50 -- $13usd for 3fl oz ($4.33usd)$19usd for 6 fl oz ($3.17usd per oz)
Summer rays are starting to get particularly intense around these parts. In a quest to find a sunscreen I could re-apply over makeup, I gave this a try. I wouldn't recommend this for face for two reasons: the ingredients list has a high amount of alcohols and fragrant oils that could be irritating to some AND the product isn't advertised as such. Side note: Supergoop! actually came out with one formulated specifically for face so I'm going to give that a try during my next Sephora trip. Scent-wise, it's a spicy citrus that took some getting used to. It doesn't linger for long after application so it won't interfere with your favorite summer scent. I liked it enough. It has a quick dry down but leaves your skin slightly sheen-y, veering on oily almost. I prefer a matte finish on my skin but at least it complemented my tan and didn't feel sticky. The spray was light and even, all the way to the end. I used this pretty much every day and this bottle lasted me the entire summer and then some. It claims to be water-resistant and you could re-apply over dry or wet skin, making it the perfect poolside companion. The cap twists to lock so no worries about accidental sprays in your bag! After giving this a try, I think I'll stick to my mineral-based sunscreen for long days outside and this for touch ups.
  Bottom Line: Will not repurchase this brand but I like the concept. 
If you have an affordable, cruelty-free brand to recommend, I'd appreciate it!

The Body Shop Body Butter in Smoky Poppy -- $7usd for 1.69oz ($4.14usd per oz)
I'm a bit particular when it comes to scents. Since I couldn't recall whether or not I like the scent of poppies, I sprung for the travel version that came in a set with a matching shower gel. I'm glad I did because smoky poppies kind of smell like peppery grandpa, LOL. It was a bit overwhelming at first but as the day wore on, the scent faded somewhat. I actually liked pairing it with a sweeter floral to tone down the spiciness. Moisturizing properties is on par with other TBS body butters. It isn't slick or watery but on the creamy side. The matte finish jives better with my preferred look and didn't stick to my clothes. The travel size made it convenient when I was travelling but it only lasted me about 2 weeks of daily use. Now that I'm in a hotter environment, I probably won't have to use as much as I did before. I think I'll keep this little container to hold random knickknacks. 
Bottom Line: Will not repurchase this scent but will try the other travel sizes!

Caudalie Make-up Remover Cleansing Water (sample-1 fl oz/30mL) -- $14usd for 3.38 oz ($4.14usd) / $28usd for 6.7 fl oz ($4.18usd per oz)
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to micellar waters so I wasn't sure what to expect. Sure, there are glowing reviews of the Bioderma and whatnot but I've learned to take things on the internet with a healthy dose of skepticism. Caudalie is a French brand from the land that micellar waters originated from so I was excited. The scent was not my favorite and reminded me of fermenting grapes. It wasn't horrible and didn't stop me from going through the entire thing. Compared to the Simple Cleansing Micellar Water (review) this one is much more adept at removing makeup. I used two soaked cotton pads instead of four before I saw a clear pad. It definitely felt refreshing and cooling to use this at the end of a long day. Skin didn't feel dried out after usage. Ingredients list seems fine but it does contain sodium hydroxide, aka lye, which can be harsh on sensitive skin. The tiny bottle actually lasted me a long time since I only needed a little bit to remove my makeup. Again, I don't think it did that great against waterproof mascara but it did remove everything else without irritating my skin.
  Bottom Line: I'm on the fence due to price but if money wasn't a problem, I would!

Not Your Mother's Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo -- $6.19usd for 7 oz /198 g ($0.88usd per oz)
Dry shampoo is a must have for my oily, fine, and straight hair. If I wash my hair in the morning, it'll be greasy by nightfall. Since my hair is on the finer side, it lacks natural volume so I like for my dry shampoo to add a bit of volume. This one is okay when it comes to oil absorption. If it's second day hair, it's good. I still have to re-spray throughout the day. Third or even fourth day hair (busy college life, yada yada yada...excuses...), this product falls flat.  It leaves residue in my hair and makes hair styling impossible due to the grit. The spray is less intense than my favorite Batiste but it doesn't have the same oil-absorbing properties nor feel on the hair. Scent is meh but not unbearable. I'm still on the hunt for a great dry shampoo that's scentless or close to scentless as possible because my hair is in my face all day and strong scents give me a headache. 
Bottom Line: Will not repurchase. 

So that's all for this month! I'm going to be more proactive and go through more of my masks. I just get so lazy by the end of the night >.< Now that it's starting to feel like summer in SoCal, I'll have to be on the hunt for more sunscreen. I think I'll go back to my Hawaiian Tropics Sunscreen (empties) one since it does double duty but I still want a spray for easy touch ups.

What products have you finished this month? Sound off below!


XOXO,
MWAH ♥





No comments