Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

REVIEW | Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil

REVIEW | Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil
Putting on makeup is one of life's many pleasures. I find the process very relaxing and empowering. Taking it off, however, is a whole 'nother story. I'm an all-in kind of gal so a full face of makeup is my preferred look. I'm always wearing waterproof eye makeup or long lasting lip products so a gentle cleanser won't cut it. That's when I cal in the big guns: cleansing oils. Ever since discovering them, that's all I use, save for the occasional makeup wipes when I'm lazy. I received a sample of the Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil in a Clarisonic collab . It promises to prevent skin dehydration, inflammation, hyperpigmentation, and excess sebum production. 

{THE BREAKDOWN}

A gentle cleanser, it is a blend of sunflower, safflower, argan, grapefruit, grape and  olive seed oils. There is a citrusy scent attributed to the grapefruit oil but i found it refreshing and not overpowering. Due to the multiple oils, I found that my skin didn't feel dry or tight immediately after cleansing. Rather, it felt moisturized yet kind of heavy, like there was residue on my skin. It's not a feeling that I'm accustomed to since the It's Skin Brightening Cleansing Oil (review) and the Holika Holika Soda BB Deep Cleansing Oil didn't leave a trace on my skin once washed off. It has a thicker viscosity than those two so I find myself using more than usual. Despite  the oils, I still had to moisturize afterwards. Granted, I didn't have to rush to the bedroom to quickly hydrate my skin but I think dry skin people especially will have to use a moisturizer still.

After massaging the oil in and adding water, it didn't emulsify as much as I'm used to but no worries, it was quite effective at removing my face makeup and eyeshadow thanks to polysorbate-20 and polysorbate-80 (emulsifiers and surfectants). Its not effective at removing waterproof mascara and eyeliner but I usually remove those with a separate duo phase remover.

The ingredients list is short (10 items) but I noticed a lack of general preservatives. There's no water in this formulation so maybe there's no need? Sucralose is included in here but as I'm not eating the cleansing oil, I wonder why it's included. For those who worry about polysorbate-80 affecting the digestive system, it's not like you're guzzling the cleansing oil and the amount included in this oil is probably not enough to impact your body, just saying. 

{THE LOOK}

REVIEW | Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil
It did a great job of removing almost everything but the WP mascara and liner. Forgot to take an after photo but everything was gone and my face did look slightly brighter. As for the inflammation claim, my face didn't look red or sting anywhere so I guess it did something for that. Preventing hyperpigmentation is harder to notice since I'm using AHA, NHÀ and Vitamin C at the same time to combat hyperpigmentation. Lastly, I didn't notice a lasting effect for the oil prevention claim. Obviously, having just washed my face would rid myself of.oils but throughout the day, I'd be back to my oil-ish self again.

{THE BOTTOM LINE}

I like it well enough. During the winter months, I appreciate how it doesn't dry out my skin yet is effective at removing most of my makeup. The scent is pleasant enough to be soothing before bedtime and the shorter ingredients list is reassuring. For $32usd, you get 6 oz ($5.33 usd per oz) which is a bit pricey but cleansing oils are scarce here in the U.S., especially one that works. Despite being on the heavier side, I really do think it would work for all skin types but dry skin will need an additional boost of hydration. 

{WHERE TO BUY}

Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil // sephora

XOXO,
MWAH ♥



No comments