Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

REVIEW | Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet

Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet personne ne rouge frambourjoise ole flamingo pink pong nudeist grand cru happy nude year review swatches
Hello everyone! It's Hump Day which is actually my favorite day of the week. Something about being in the middle makes me feel comforted, haha. Anyhoo, I'm super excited to be discussing one of my new lippie favorites: the Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvets! They've been out since last year over in the UK but I just got my hands on them after an order was lost--can this be considered delayed gratification...no?

{THE BREAKDOWN}

I'm constantly on the search for a long wearing lip product at at affordable price. I've never been a fan of traditional lipsticks because they don't last as long as I want them to. Liquid lipsticks seemed like a better option for longevity and color payoff. The Rouge Edition Velvet check off both of my criteria and remain relatively comfortable throughout wear. I have drier lips because I don't drink as much water as I should so lip balm is an essential for me. These lipsticks aren't drying like the Rimmel Provocalips (review) are but they aren't as budgeproof. They wear down in the middle of my lips after a meal but touching up isn't a problem. The matte finish was a bit worrisome; they don't dry out my lips but they don't add any moisture either. By the end of the day, my lips do get chapped. These don't catch on my dry spots but they do look best on smooth lips. The metallic scent is off-putting but I can look past that as the performance is good. The slanted foam applicator is small enough for me to fill my lips without going over the edges but I would have liked a pointier tip for precise application. The color you see is the color you get on your lips, which I highly appreciate.

As much as I liked them, there are inconsistencies within the range. I picked up 7 out of the 12 colors available, mostly in the pink family. Some appeared to be more satin matte and thicker in texture like a mousse but others were more of a true matte and thinner in texture. They do however, dry down to be more matte in the end. The only one I found to be entirely disappointing and a definite miss is Grand Cru. A crimson with a matte finish, I thought it would be my shade of red but the formula was so patchy, it was hard to get an even finish. The photo below disguises the unevenness well but even with two layers, I couldn't get color to stick to my inner bottom lip. 

{THE SWATCH}

Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet personne ne rouge frambourjoise ole flamingo pink pong nudeist grand cru happy nude year review swatches
Personne ne Rouge is a ruby red. I don't wear reds often but it will be one I reach for when I do want to wear red. Frambourjoise is my kind of red. It leans on berry pink but has just enough red to be classified as one. Ole Flamingo is a warm magenta. I love wearing these kinds of colors when I want to go bold. Pink Pong is a cool, purple-ly hot pink. It's not a color I would reach for as it does look good on my skin tone but if I ever wanted a color that contrasted with my undertone, this would be it. At least I don't look sickly? xD 
Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet personne ne rouge frambourjoise ole flamingo pink pong nudeist grand cru happy nude year review swatches
Nude-ist calls to mind something that is skintone but the rosy shade looks natural on my skin tone. Grand Cru is dark crimson. As you can see from my expression, I did not enjoy this one. I've searched up swatches of it and it seems to work well for everyone else. I might have just gotten a dud. Lastly, Happy Nude Year is a bright coral pink. This is one of my favorites from the line. :D
bourjois rouge edition velvet review swatches  Personne ne Rouge, Frambourjoise, Olé Flamingo, Pink Pong, Nude-ist, Grand Cru, and Happy Nude Year
From left to right: Personne ne Rouge, Frambourjoise, Olé Flamingo, Pink Pong, Nude-ist, Grand Cru, and Happy Nude Year

{THE BOTTOM LINE}

If you were looking for something understated and unassuming, you've come to the wrong line. Even the nudes are on the brighter pink side! Vibrant, bold colors are the defining characteristics so color lovers will love this. My favorites are Ole Flamingo, Nude-ist and Happy New Year but they also make a striking, vivid red for those who lean on the classic side. For 8.99£/$13.86usd for 6.7ml/0.23oz ($60.26usd per oz), they're quite affordable compared to high end brands that make similar options. They've recently released a few new color options as well the Aqua Laque line for those who enjoy a glossy finish in the same style of packaging. Haven't given those a go but might try one just for kicks.

{WHERE TO BUY}


What are your favorite liquid lipsticks? Sound off below!

XOXO,
MWAH ♥


2 comments

  1. Pink Pong! This could be the liquid lipsticks that could get me to like liquid matte lipsticks aside from Etude House lips fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a color I could definitely see you in! Pink Pong is one of the truer mattes yet it doesn't feel uncomfortable on my lips. :)

    ReplyDelete