Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

DE-STASHING PROJECT | Confessions of a Beauty Samples Hoarder

DE-STASHING PROJECT | Confessions of a Beauty Samples Hoarder, organizing my beauty samples

I mentioned on Twitter that I would be resurrecting this series on my blog. If you don't already follow me, my handle is @MakeupWithAHart. Do it and find out about sneak peeks and my day-to-day life! 


This has been sorely needed. As every avid beauty maven is prone to, my collection has grown out of control. After two moves and another planned in nine months, I need to cut it down to a more manageable size. I've been avoiding doing so because I knew how daunting the task would be. But I need to be firm with myself and do something about this growing problem. 

Starting small, I decided to organize my samples stash in a way that I would be more likely to use it up. Eventually, I'll be tackling the larger makeup, skincare and haircare collection. I've been waffling about what method would be most effective and came up with this one using an expandable file organizer that I've had for years. It used to hold my homework but I'm all for reusing things!  

DE-STASHING PROJECT | Confessions of a Beauty Samples Hoarder, organizing my beauty samples

I first dumped all my samples onto my bed, scrounging up samples haphazardly stuffed into random bags and corners. Next, I pulled aside the ones that didn't apply to me and put them in a bag to give to family. For the ones that I can use, I separated those into three general categories: Skin, Makeup and Hair & Body. After I had my three piles, I further organized it by item to help me find what I need quickly. The labels were ordered in a way that mimics when in my routine I'd apply or use the item. See the photos below for how I decided to do it:

DE-STASHING PROJECT | Confessions of a Beauty Samples Hoarder, organizing my beauty samples

DE-STASHING PROJECT | Confessions of a Beauty Samples Hoarder, organizing my beauty samples

DE-STASHING PROJECT | Confessions of a Beauty Samples Hoarder, organizing my beauty samples

I have bad eyesight so I color coded the three categories to help me figure out where everything is. And here's everything after I organized it!

DE-STASHING PROJECT | Confessions of a Beauty Samples Hoarder, organizing my beauty samples

As I gain more samples, I will file it away immediately rather than letting it sit on some table and getting lost in the shuffle. Looking at this photo gives me immense satisfaction. But for the past several weeks since getting this organized, I'm still not remembering to dip into this and use stuff. 

So, I got to thinking and found a solution: Organize an even smaller collection to use up weekly. I've done one for makeup and skincare. Makeup goes up on my makeup station so I can remember to use it and skincare goes in a box in the bathroom since I do most of that stuff in there. I don't have many hair stuff but I put all of those samples in a plastic cup in the shower so I don't have to remember to bring it in. 

This method has been working wonders for me! And, it's inspired a spin-off series: Samples Weekly Edit. Beginning each week, I will document the items to be used and at the end of the week, I'll write mini-reviews of everything. The first week is already in progress so I'll have the post up this Sunday, June 5. I'm super excited because I've been hitting the blogger's block and with all these ideas, I'll have tons of material to write about in the upcoming months! 

Have you let your collection grow wild like I have? 
Or do you have a better method to manage this madness?


XOXO,
Cindy ♥




No comments