Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

BEAUTY ROUNDUP | Year in Beauty: 2016 Edition Part 2


I decided to split this up into two parts because it was getting too wordy. Hopefully, this makes things easier to digest! In this part, I'll be talking about eight other products I've loved throughout the year 2016 but didn't have a category for them. *EDIT 7/18/18* Wow, it's now mid-2018...way to go procrastination. I literally had three products to talk about before I could post this and just left it until now...well, at least I have a good memory because those last three left a very lasting impression on me. >.<

Skincare Faves

  • Paula's Choice Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution with 2% Salicylic Acid (CF) -- I've featured this in my Year in Beauty: 2014 Edition so it's been a long-time favorite. I've gone through at least 3 bottles of this stuff. When I discovered this toner, my skin changed dramatically for the better. Before I discovered this toner, it was a constant skin battle whereas today, my routine is all about maintenance. I have a dedicated review on several Paula's Choice Clear products if you want more details. Definitely will be continuing to buy this forever! 
  • Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion PM (not CF) -- While anti-aging isn't a top concern for me, it's never too late to work on prevention, right? This is the first retinol product I've tried but I've heard many good things it can do for the skin. This serum contains 1.5% microencapsulated retinol to help smooth skin's appearance, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, enhance skin tone and texture. I do struggle with hyperpigmentation on my chin but I don't think I've used it long enough to see a difference there yet. But I have noticed that my skin is smoother as foundation glides on beautifully, even without primer. I don't have massive pimples around the time of the month, like I usually do. It does contain alcohol, which I'm not a fan of, but it's oil- and fragrance-free. Will definitely keep y'all updated on this!
  • Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50 (CF) -- It's hard for me to find a sunscreen to fit all my needs: cruelty-free, SPF 30+, no pilling, no or light fragrance, and no white cast. This hits the mark for me. It used to have a strong fragrance but I think they've got rid of it. Also, the formula in the big tube is thicker and less runny than the ones in the smaller tubes so I don't know if they've updated the formula since I last bought this in 2014. I've gone through many smaller 2.4 oz tubes and finally sprung for the larger 7.5 oz tubes. My skin fluctuates from day to day and this compensates well regardless. I've used it with a bunch of foundations, from liquids to cream to powder, and this works well underneath everything I've tried. There's a review already on the blog so check it out for specifics. 
  • Skinfood Silicone Pad (not CF) -- I'm not big on skincare tools as my fingers do the job just fine, but this silicone pad is handy! Not only does it lightly exfoliate as I cleanse, it removes any excess makeup remaining on my face after my first cleanse. Whenever I use a clay-based mask, this makes removing it so much easier and less messy. Instead of shelling out big bucks for those fancy silicone cleansing mats, this one also works for working tough makeup out of makeup brushes. It's also easy to clean and keep dry due to the suction cup on the flip side. So for a $2.99usd pad, I feel like I'm definitely getting my money's worth! 

Honorable Mentions

  • Latex-free wedges (CF) -- This one came in an 8-pack from ULTA but these helped my concealer game immensely. I've been a fingers girl when it came to concealer but I don't think I'm very good at it. Brushes are a hassle to wash everyday so this is a happy compromise. I can layer enough concealer underneath my eye to actually cover the darkness underneath my eyes and use this to pat it in. Before, I would only use three dots because my fingers wouldn't blend in anymore, but my dark circles were still noticeable. Now, I can apply a small triangle underneath and get the coverage I need without using a full coverage, thick concealer! This also works to blend in concealer around my nose and chin area. These survive about 10 washes, so I don't feel the need to buy the Beauty Blender micro minis and whatnot -- score!
  • BareMinerals Flawless Face Brush (CF) -- I've featured this in my June 2016 Beauty Roundup: Throwback Edition and I still love it now. It's compact but still usable. This gets the right amount of powder for a light dusting. I especially love it for loose powder and sample size jars. The hairs do shed every once in awhile but it's not major. 
  • e.l.f. Complexion Brush (CF) -- The most expensive brush in my collection is around $22usd but this $3usd brush is my ultimate favorite. I used to exclusively apply blush with it but one time, this was my sole face brush. So I went in with it for blush, bronzer, highlighter, and powder and it applies all of it so nicely! I prefer a softer finish when it comes to my face makeup.  I've had it for 5 years now and through countless washes, it's still holding strong. This is one of the few brushes that I have doubles of because I really cannot be without it. If you're looking for a brush that can do it all for natural definition and flush, look no farther than this affordable and cruelty-free brush!
  • Nails Inc Gel Effect Nail Polish in Porchester Square (status unclear) -- I've watched several UK bloggers rave about this shade so when I saw it on the Sephora site, I immediately put it into my cart. I love my bright polishes but now that I work in an optometrist's office, I have to go for nude nails. This taupe is unlike other taupes in my collection because it leans lavender in cooler morning lighting. Gel nails aren't for me because I can never sit still long enough for it to cure. But this is just as shiny and almost as long lasting. They last a whole week without chipping, which is unheard of for me. I haven't worn it for two weeks because I like to change my polish weekly but that's good enough for me! It says that this is limited edition so I would get it now if you can. Even though it's $15 a pop, I'm so in love that I can justify that price, hehe. 

Disappointing Products

  • Algenist Eye Cream (not CF) -- This actually created little bumps around my eye area and my temples. It has a weird smell so I would not recommend this at all.
  • Eucerin Daily Protection Moisturizing Face Lotion (not CF) -- I wanted to find a daily SPF that had physical protection and while it has nano titanium dioxide, this left a white cast on my light skin tone. And if that wasn't bad enough, it was thick and greasy feeling, even though the scale says it's on the light side. Definitely skip this.
  • Colourpop Ultra Matte Lip in Clueless (CF) -- I should disclose that I'm not a fan of liquid lipsticks and I dislike dry, Sahara lips. This color was pretty but darkened considerably on me once dry. I find the UML and such are not my thing at all. They do have Ultra Blotted Lips, Blotted Lips, and Lux Lipsticks now so I may give those a try.
I hope this was helpful, even two years late. It's still relevant because I still love all of these products. I just reminded my self to use the latex wedges and my silicone pad more. The PTR serum has fallen out of my routine so I must not have been impressed. Will hopefully have a better update in an empties post soon.

What are some tips you have to beat procrastination?

XOXO,
Cindy ♥


No comments