Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

BLOGMAS | Day 12: My Winter Skincare Routine for Combination Dehydrated Skin

I haven't written a dedicated skincare routine post in two years and while the steps haven't changed, the products sure have! My current routine is much more involved and focuses on hydration rather than maintenance. I still use my Paula's Choice products for acne treatment so I didn't include them here. These are all the basic steps that I think should be included in a skincare routine if you have normal to dry skin like me. 

I divided this post into my morning and night routine to make things easier to digest. I don't think the actual products matter but the function they serve is important. If you already have something you love serving that purpose, then keep using it! These are some of my recommendations if you wanted something new to try.
My Winter Skincare Routine for Combination Dehydrated Skin, josie maran pure argan milk, mizon ultra suboon cream, josie maran argan oil review, skinfood aloe sun mist and physicians formula 2 in 1 argan wear argan oil and coconut water primer review

MORNING ROUTINE

My Winter Skincare Routine for Combination Dehydrated Skin, skinfood aloe sun mist, supergoop! city sunscreen serum, supergoop! everyday sunscreen, review
As with everything, consistency is key. I always have to do my morning skincare because I keep everything laid out for me so that I cannot miss it. The order in which I apply my skincare:
  • Exfoliating Toner (alternating days) : Paula's Choice CLEAR Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution in Extra Strength
  • Extra Hydration (optional)
    • Skinfood Aloe Sun Mist SPF 50+ PA +++ 
    • Physicians Formula Argan Wear 2 in 1 Argan Oil & Coconut Water Primer 
    • Josie Maran Pure Argan Milk Intensive Hydrating Treatment
  • Acne Treatment (if needed) : Paula's Choice CLEAR Daily Skin Clearing Treatment with 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide
  • Serum/Treatment : Supergoop! City Sunscreen Serum SPF + Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil
  • Sunscreen : Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen SPF 50 PA+++

I'm pretty rushed in the mornings (who isn't?) so I may not get to all the steps but one thing I never skip is sunscreen. As someone with acne issues, protecting my skin from the sun's harsh rays is my number one priority as I use chemical exfoliants to moderate my skin. Even if I wasn't dealing with acne, the sun is the number one culprit when it comes to aging so sunscreen is a must! My all-time favorite is the Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen. I've used plenty of different sunscreens over the years but since going cruelty-free, this is the best. I don't like physical sunscreens as they leave a visible white cast on my light medium skin. This one is all synthetic so no white cast whatsoever. I also use it as my moisturizer so no need for an extra step. I don't know if it's because I bought a larger size but it's not watery as before and the bergamot scent has been toned down considerably.

As for the Paula's Choice toner, I don't use it everyday, or every night. I wanted to try the Extra Strength just because, but it seems to be too drying for my skin. So, I use it every other day or even less to prevent my skin from drying out. I'm going back to the regular strength once I finish this one up, which is already on its last legs.
My Winter Skincare Routine for Combination Dehydrated Skin, skinfood aloe sun mist and physicians formula 2 in 1 argan wear argan oil and coconut water primer review
During winter time, I struggle with dry flakes so a few sprays of either the Skinfood mist or the Physicians Formula primer after my toner soothes the skin and helps my makeup go on smoother. I'll keep one in my bag to spritz throughout the day to keep my skin flakes from showing.
My Winter Skincare Routine for Combination Dehydrated Skin, josie maran pure argan milk, supergoop! city sunscreen serum, josie maran argan oil, review
If I do have a bit more time, I'll supplement it with the Supergoop! City Sunscreen Serum. The added sunscreen protection is perfect when I wear a tinted moisturizer and don't need to wear the Everyday Sunscreen. The consistency is like a thinner moisturizer rather than the typical watery texture. Ingredients like vitamins  E and B5, Hydroviton 24, and Uniprotect PT-3 moisturize and protect the skin from sun damage and pollution. When my skin is drier than usual, I add five drops of Josie Maran's 100% Pure Argan Oil over top. This locks in the moisture and helps my foundation glide over my dry areas. If I don't want to do all those steps above, I'll just use three to five drops of the Josie Maran Pure Argan Milk and pat that gently into my skin. It's lightweight yet hydrating but doesn't move my makeup.

NIGHTTIME ROUTINE

My Winter Skincare Routine for Combination Dehydrated Skin, josie maran pure argan milk, mizon ultra suboon cream, josie maran argan oil, skinfood aloe sun mist, peter thomas roth retinol fusion pm review
My nighttime routine includes many of the same products with an added treatment. I should get into using facial masks as I've quite the stockpile but I can never be bothered to do so. I think I'll leave them in my medicine cabinet from now on to remind myself to use them up. The steps for nighttime are:

  • Exfoliating Toner (not every night; see note above) : Paula's Choice CLEAR Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution in Extra Strength
  • Acne Treatment (as needed) : Paula's Choice CLEAR Daily Skin Clearing Treatment with 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide

    • Hydrating Mist (if I'm not using an exfoliating toner) : Skinfood Aloe Sun Mist SPF 50+ PA +++ 
    • Serum/Treatment : Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion PM
    • Extra Hydration : Josie Maran Pure Argan Milk + Josie Maran Pure Argan Oil
    • Night Cream : Mizon Ultra Suboon Cream
    Since I don't use an exfoliating toner every night, I'll use a hydrating mist instead. Again, the Skinfood makes an appearance because with two spritzes, my skin feels supple and soft. I've been trying out this Peter Thomas Roth serum that I got a while back. This is the first retinol product I've used so I didn't have any expectations. Retinol is supposed to reduce fine lines and wrinkles as well as even out skin tone and texture. I haven't used it consistently enough to make my final judgements. Since I'm dealing with acne breakouts at the moment, I've been using my toner and benzoyl peroxide more often instead of this retinol serum. Using too many actives all at once can thin out the skin and cause more issues so when I have my skin under control, I'll be using this serum more often. 
    My Winter Skincare Routine for Combination Dehydrated Skin, josie maran pure argan milk, mizon ultra suboon cream, josie maran argan oil, skinfood aloe sun mist, peter thomas roth retinol fusion pm review
    At night, I want to layer all the hydrating stuff since it doesn't matter if my skin looks shiny. Josie Maran Pure Argan Milk is the first layer and after that, I'll apply my Mizon cream. I've had it for a while and my initial thoughts remain the same. A little bit goes a long way and I usually wake up with plump skin, even after all the acne treatments. To lock in all the good stuff, I'll use five drops of the Josie Maran Argan Oil. It does feel a little rich and slightly heavy but I don't mind since I go to sleep right after.
    My Winter Skincare Routine for Combination Dehydrated Skin, josie maran pure argan milk, mizon ultra suboon cream, josie maran argan oil review
    While that's a lot of steps and products, I don't follow this routine strictly. There's no rhyme or rhythm to my routine other than looking at my skin and assessing its needs. That's something important to note because skin fluctuates with the weather. One set routine may work for one season but may not work in another. If your skin stays consistent, bravo! But for me, it changes from day to day so I adjust my products to cater to its needs.  

    If you have normal to combination skin, I recommend checking out my previous skincare routine! This one is much more basic so I think it would work for sensitive skin types as well. Struggling with a dry body? I have a few tips for combating winter skin woes as well!

    Now that I have the skincare routine down pat, I'm planning on writing about what to do once the makeup is on and you're noticing dry flakes creeping out. Let me know if that's something that interests you!

    P.S. Just realized that this will be my last post of 2016 -- great to end on a positive note ;)


    I hope you're staying warm and safe this New Year - I
     plan on staying in and popping a bottle of champagne with my family!

    XOXO,
    Cindy ♥

    2 comments

    1. Oh, it's such a coincidence! I recently bought the Revlon super lustrous lipstick in that exact same shade too, because I watched emilynoel88 on YouTube and she loves that shade! I haven't actually tried anything from Revlon before, so I was kinda curious. I like the color and finish of the lipsticks. I didn't notice that smell you mentioned though . I'll have to go back and see if I can detect what you're experiencing. Overall the super lustrous are nice lipsticks, but I prefer long lasting and budge proofs formulas, so this doesn't make me want to buy more of them... but I definitely don't regret buying them and I can see why people like them!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Leave it to me to have expired lipsticks x.x I used to love the long wearing formulas but my lips get so chapped 😫

      ReplyDelete