Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

DE-STASHING PROJECT | Going Cruelty Free: Face Edition

Here's the next installment of my Going Cruelty Free De-Stashing Project: the Face Edition. If you aren't all caught up, that's cool, life's busy. The long and short of it is that I've decided to go cruelty-free. I'm starting off with my makeup because that's the easiest for me but then I'd like to sort through my skincare and haircare products as well. 

Note that these are mostly my non-cruelty free items with a few cruelty free items thrown in here because I have extra or just didn't care for them right off the bat. Eventually, I want to whittle down my cruelty-free stuff and develop a capsule makeup collection, if you will. So, let's start since I have a ton of products to go through!
smashbox primer, tarte cc clay primer, makeup forever primer, benefit porefessional reviews

  • Smashbox Photo Finish Primer in Blemish Control, Iconic and Broad Spectrum SPF 20 -- 
    • I've featured the Blemish Control version in two separate monthly Beauty Round-Ups so you can tell I like it. It doesn't have the typical silicone-slippery feeling even though it does contain dimethicone as the third-most ingredient. There's a couple of hydrating ingredients, like squalane, glycerin and cetearyl alcohol which definitely helps when my skin is all dried out from my acne treatments. I notice my foundation going over those areas much smoother than if I didn't use anything. This contains 2% salicylic acid to help reduce blemishes. Now, I don't rely on this as my sole acne treatment because I feel it's gimmicky. I like it enough but it didn't seem to make a difference on my blemishes or make my foundation last longer. It did make my dry spots less noticeable and foundation go over smoother but I wouldn't pay $42usd for that again.
    • The Classic version is what started this whole line. It's a great, basic silicone primer with slight mattifying effects. I found that it filled in my pores well but not better than Benefit's POREfessional on my skin. I don't have the largest pores if I remember to use my BHA toners so take what I say with a grain of salt. I hear that Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel offers a similar effect if you're looking for a budget option. I have not tried that so be careful if you have sensitive skin!
    • SPF is an important step to any skincare and makeup routine. I prefer to use a separate SPF product rather than relying on my makeup. I've heard mixed opinions on whether or not to layer SPF products but I'm in the camp that layering is okay IF you wait for the SPF products to feel dry to the touch. The only concern is if you're diluting the potency of the SPF so I feel that waiting for the SPF to "sink in" and then going over with a foundation or primer with SPF is okay. I haven't gotten sunburned in years so it's working for me but of course, you do your own research and form your own opinions. I wouldn't recommend using the Broad Spectrum SPF 20 as your main SPF because you probably wouldn't be applying this in the right amount all over your face to achieve the protection stated on the bottle. This one is a silicone-based primer so it pretty much works the same way as the Classic version but has "chemical" sunscreens like avobenzone, homosalate and octisalate. 
  • Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water --  I've seen the Youtube craze over this product so I didn't want to fall into that trap again. I got it in one of those Ulta Special Wednesday deals and I haven't even tried it yet. I will get onto that this week though and hopefully update y'all soon!
  • Tarte Colored Clay CC Primer Stick (unboxing) --  I have three of these and so I'm getting rid of one that's too dark and one that's the right color but who needs two? I was intrigued by the different colored wedges but honestly, not much color correcting going on. It's a silicone-based primer stick that's fun to wipe on my face. My roommate thought I was crazy and wiping a glue stick all over my face. Mind you, it's a super cute one but I set her straight, haha. It offers sheer coverage with good pore minimizing effects and my foundation went over it well. Reading my Tarte Shades of Clay unboxing reminded me that I felt meh about it. I haven't picked it back up since that initial first impressions, so nothing to write home about. 
  • Benefit Stay Flawless Primer -- I remember when tons of Youtubers raved about this stick. One thing that stuck with me is that this dries quickly so working in sections is best. I think I used it once and didn't see any major difference. It definitely reminds me of the Tarte version but it's definitely a cutie with the polka dots. I'm a sucker for polka dots...
  • Lancome La Base -- This came in a Nordstrom GWP that I mostly passed onto my mom. I think I used it once. Really similar to the Smashbox Classic and is a silicone-based primer so if you wanted a slightly cheaper version, this one is okay. 
  • Lorac POREfection Mattifying Primer -- Never used but I will probably get more use now that I'm getting super oily again. Darn you, summer heat!
  • Make Up For Ever HD Primer -- Never used this one either and they don't even make these anymore...I swear, I need to keep better track of my stuff.
  • Make Up For Ever Step 1 Hydrating Primer -- Got this a couple of months ago and still haven't used it.
  • Benefit POREfessional -- Seriously, my ride or die a couple years back. I bought into the hype but tried a sample first. One of the few products where I loved the sample so much I bought the full size. I can count on one hand how many products I've done that for. Sad that I won't be buying anymore but I really feel like hoarding this one...
Start: 17 // Pass: 8 // Keep: 9

revlon photoready eye brightener and primer, bobbi brown face touch up stick, makeup forever full cover concealer, maybelline age rewind eraser dark circle, revlon photoready concealer, benefit fake up concealer, boi in concealer 03 02, maybelline fit me concealer in light reviews.
  •  Revlon PhotoReady Eye Primer & Brightener -- I bought this mainly to use as an eye primer. Didn't work so I shelved this product in my makeup graveyard. I brought it out again because I wanted to try it as a brightener and I have mixed feelings. At first, it worked wonders; I could go without concealer over top and it would last all day. Recently, it's been clumping up towards the outer corners of my eye. I've had problems with other stuff in that area so it's not just this product. It's unsightly and with my mediocre skills, I have to take it all off and start over, which I'm not happy with. I'm considering just tossing it because it sucks but I'm going to try it until the end of this week. 
  • Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer (re-discovery) -- Honestly, one of the best concealers in the market. It works well for my minor dark circles and on the redness around my nose. The sponge tip grosses me out but I learned that you could just tear it off and there's a plastic tip dispenser. Maybelline has great customer service as I detail in my original post. Forgot what shade I have here but it's most likely Medium.
  • Benefit Fake Up Concealer -- HG concealer that I've talked about many times on the blog (most recently, in my June Empties) so I'll keep it short but saying that it's great for dry undereye circles with minor darkness. 
  • Bobbi Brown Face Touch Up Stick -- Once upon a time, MUFE was the only brand that matched both my skintone and my undertone. Then came along the Misty Mom, who loves Bobbi Brown products. I heard many good things about the brand so I sprung for the concealer and foundation stick. And I really, really, really love them! It does look very yellow toned but for someone of my heritage, it's perfect. This concealer is no joke. I don't think it'll cover up tattoos but it will completely disguise the redness of angry pimples along with my dark circles. It's very creamy so setting powder is a must if you have oily skin. 
  • Revlon PhotoReady Concealer -- I've sung its praises in my recent June Beauty Round-Up so I'll say that if the Bobbi Brown mentioned previously was too creamy, this one is much drier yet offers me the same coverage. I use this mostly in the summer because it holds up better in hot temperatures.
  • Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer -- This concealer means business. A little bit goes a long way. At one point, I used this in place of foundation, only in areas I needed it. My bestie thought that my natural skin was flawless but really, it was this concealer. When I told her that I had this concealer on, she looked at me like I said I had a second head. Almost convinced her to buy one until she saw the price, haha. But for me, trying a bunch of drugstore stuff that didn't work made it okay for me to spring for something expensive but works. Recently, it's been oxidizing like no one's business on my skin so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm still holding onto this but will have to do some more testing.
  • Maybelline Fit Me Concealer -- Seriously, Maybelline make the best base makeup from the drugstore. They just get my yellow undertone without making me look orange. This one is another multi-tasker for me. It works equally well on dark circles and redness. This concealer has more coverage and is thicker in consistency than the Instant Age Rewind yet I love both. This one I save for my full-on face because it does look weird if I don't have foundation on, like I have two perfect semi circles under my eyes with a blotchy face, haha. I used to wear Medium until I realized it was too dark. Switching to Light makes it perfect whereas Medium only worked on my under eye circles. Orangey tones work to neutralize blue-y dark circles but I like a do-it-all product.
  • Benefit Boi-ing Concealer -- I got this in a kit and it's a meh product for me. I prefer to wear a natural, "does she or doesn't she have any makeup on" kind of face (I know my posts on Instagram beg to differ but in my true everyday kind of face).This one needs a finger to warm it up and the tones just don't work for my coloring. They come up pink and slightly chalky looking on my yellow toned light medium skin. I'll probably mix this with some other stuff to use it up.
Start: 8 // Pass: 0 // Keep: 7 (because I finished up the Benefit Fake Up)

makeup forever hd foundation, bobbi brown skin foundation stick, maybelline fit me matte and poreless foundation, stila foundation, josie maran argan daily moisturizer, smashbox cc bb cream, benefit some kind of gorgeous foundation reviews
  •  Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless Foundation (product smackdown) -- I compared this to the Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation because both claim to mattify the face and keep oil at bay. This one didn't give me a super matte look like the UD but it did have much more coverage. Since it doesn't have a pump, I can quickly go overboard. The color I got was too dark so I mixed it with a pale pink highlighter to lighten it which gave me awesome coverage with a long lasting dewy finish. Honestly though, it's much thicker than what I'm comfortable with but if I'm looking for all-day, flawless coverage, this is the one I reach for. Definitely will be putting this to good use now that everything breaks down on me in 2 hours...
  • Stila Perfect & Correct Foundation (review) -- Loved this at first but the shade Tone is too dark for me. It seems like they're phasing this out as it's marked down to $15usd on Stila's website. It has an interesting cooling feeling once on the skin. The mousse-like, fluffy texture is fun to work with but it can settle into pores and look awful if I'm not having a good skin day. This one doesn't seem to cooperate with my Bobbi Brown Skin Stick so I will try mixing it with my MUFE to see if that makes a difference. When I use it on it's own (no primer), I have no issues but I can't because it really is too orange on me. 
  • Tarte Maracuja Miracle Founcealer (unboxing) -- I wasn't a fan of this at first and while I'm not a convert, now that I have a color that matches, my opinion has slightly improved. I still don't think it's perfect for everyone but if you have dry skin or don't mind a very dewy finish, this one would be good for you. The dropper-style dispensing mechanism still irks me to no end but it's better than the mesh jar that the Amazonian Colored Clay Foundation (review) comes in.
  • Make Up For Ever HD Foundation -- HG foundation that I've talked about multiple times. Really not looking forward to finding a cruelty-free replacement. It's hard for me to detail everything I love about it here so I'm thinking about doing a dedicated review post with swatch comparisons to make my life easier. Look out for that soon!
  • Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation -- Heard tons of love so was glad to receive a sample. The color is way too dark for me to pull off even with tons of bronzer but I can see why people love it so much. Definitely reminds me of the MUFE HD Foundation but is glowier and thinner in texture. Definitely going to enjoy it while it lasts. 
  • Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick (product smackdown) -- One of three foundation sticks I own so I'm no expert. I can tell you, though, that I do really like this because it's one of the few I can blend with my fingers and still look good. I don't know how makeup artists get foundation to look nice with just their fingers. I need brushes and sponges for my face to look nice and not like a streaky mess. Color match is spot-on for winter but in summer, I need a little bit of bronzer. This lasts really well on me in both summer and winter because I never remember to touch up throughout the day. Cream foundations are where it's at for me and I'm looking into buying Cover FX Cream Foundation or the RCMA Foundation Kit. Let me know your thoughts if you've tried any of these!
  • Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream -- I have this in a too dark color so definitely going to be mixing these. I know Bethany Mota spoke highly of them once upon a time so I look forward to using them.
  • Stila Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer -- Not sure where I got this from but I'm into illuminating products lately. I don't think they sell this anymore or maybe they repackaged it under a new name? 
  • Benefit Some Kind of Gorgeous (review)-- This one is quite interesting and I don't have anything like this in my collection. It's a solid foundation but silicone-y feeling. It's quite thin and doesn't offer much coverage. I like it more as a concealer over slight redness. This one is in Medium which is too dark for me. Should really use it up, haha.
  • Bobbi Brown BB Cream SPF 35 (review) -- I have this in Medium which is way too dark and orange on me. I can't believe I wore this out a couple of times before I realized that. It's quite thick but offers medium coverage. Really great for dry skin gals who don't mind a bit of dew (without the glitter and shimmer) and heavy-ness. I actually don't mind the weight but the color is a no-no. 
  • Smashbox Camera Ready CC Cream (Medium) --This one is too dark for me so I didn't get much use out of it. Will mix with a couple of  my Korean BB creams for a better color match. Cross your fingers for me that it doesn't end up a disaster...
  • Dr. Jart BB Dis-a-Pore Beauty Balm -- Really liked this. Definitely made my pores disappear but I don't have the largest pores. The color was a little off so mixing it with my MUFE HD made it work. Loved using this when going to the gym for slight coverage. My face gets really red when I get hot so this makes me feel less self-conscious. 
  • Dr. Brandt Matte BB Cream -- Wanted this because it said mattifying but honestly, just looked chalky on the skin. And it was not a good color match for me. Glad they don't sell this anymore because it wasn't good.
  • Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen Foundation -- I like the runny texture but it gave light coverage at best. Color was too dark for me but since it's so thin, it doesn't look off unless you're close.
  • Stila Natural Finish Oil Free Makeup -- Was way too orange on me and since it was so thick, nothing I could really do to save it. I don't think it comes with a pump but I can check later. Don't think they make this anymore.
  • Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer SPF 47 -- Really looked forward to using it but it was a mess on me. First of all, it comes in only one color and unfortunately, it just looked orange on me. I think it did alright in terms of moisture but the color put me off from ever using it again.
Start: 18 // Pass: 3 // Keep: 15

tarte cheek stains, bella bamba, benefit blushes, bobbi brown sandstone, revlon cream blushes, revlon highlighting palette rose glow, tarte bronzer blush reviews
  •  Benefit Dandelion, Coralista, Sugarbomb, Bella Bamba -- Don't like Dandelion because it doesn't show up on my skin tone. Coralista is a gorgeous satin coral but is highly dupeable. Sugarbomb also doesn't show up on me but is nice for a light shimmer highlight. Bella Bamba is a pretty shimmery watermelon color but is too pigmented for me. I don't like being careful when I apply my makeup so this is too much trouble for me. The color is gorgeous though!
  • Stila Positively Pink Cheek Palette -- Mine looks all mangled because I depotted it. The pigmentation is a bit lacking but the sheer pink looks fresh and youthful. 
  • Tarte Cheek Stain in Fearless and Blushing Bride (review) -- Cream blushes are great for a more natural, seamless finish. When I don't have a lot of time, a bit of cream blusher perks up my complexion nicely. These ones had shimmer and glitter in them and just looked awkward on my skin. Check out my review for swatches!
  • Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Sandstone (review) -- I sold one of Shimmer Bricks because it was too orange on my skin. This one has a neutral bronze sheen on my skin that I much prefer. Haven't used it much because it was buried under a ton of makeup but it's sitting front and center from now on :D
  • Revlon PhotoReady Cream Blush in Coral Reef, Pinched and Flushed (review) -- I only put one here but I have all three colors. At first, I was super excited about them because I liked the finish. But they weren't pigmented enough due to it being winter and the product solidified too much. They're quite fickle and I like a fuss-free morning. I'm only keeping Pinched because it's one of the few orange toned blushes that look good one me (but really, it's more of a peach than orange).
  • Revlon Cream Blush in Berry Flirtatious -- I think these have been discontinued but I much prefer this formula. Much more pigmented and easy to blend. These dry to a powdery finish so no worries about it slipping and sliding around. I used this today and forgot about how pigmented these are so now I look like one of those creepy porcelain dolls...
  • Revlon Highlighting Palette in Rose Glow -- Was hoping these would be a dupe for the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Bricks and sadly, they aren't. There's hardly any pigment so building them up is a catch-22: if I don't apply more layers, I don't get the pink color but if I keep building it up, the glitter becomes too noticeable and it looks like I got into a fight with pixies and lost. 
Start: 14 // Pass: 6 // Keep: 8

bobbi brown luxe sparkle powder, benefit watts up, benefit high beam, urban decay b6 vitamin infused complexion prep spray, tarte maracuja bronzing serum reviews

  • Bobbi Brown Luxe Sparkle Powder -- I got this for free in an order directly from her website. The compact is a mirrored silver that picks up fingerprints like a fingerprint scanner. The powder inside is just a glittery silver mess. It was recommended for brides but unless you wanted to look like futuristic ice queen, I'd steer clear of this. 
  • Urban Decay B6 Vitamin Infused Complexion Prep Spray -- This came out way before the Smashbox Primer Water but is a similar concept. It's supposed to minimize pores, reduce oil and redness. Never used it so I can't say if it improved my skin or wear time. This does contain alcohol denat which is a known irritant on my skin.
  • Benefit High Beam -- One of my favorite highlighters! I talked about it in my June Beauty Round-Up, but it has the softest sheen on my skin. A little goes a long way. If the Becca pressed formula is too glittery, I think you'd enjoy this. Doesn't cake up foundation, even over powder. This one is a back up so I'm just going to say good bye.
  • Benefit Watt's Up! -- Another one of my favorites. I didn't think I'd like the golden champagne tone but this has grown on me. I don't like straight-up gold like Prosecco from the Jaclyn Hill Champagne Pop Face Palette but this is a softer take on that. It's a cream to powder so melds right into the skin. A little goes a long way and the packaging is just...*squeal*! All three are backups so I don't need them anymore.
  • Tarte Maracuja Bronzing Serum (unboxing) -- Until recently, I abhorred bronzer. Due to my Asian upbringing, I was taught to value pale skin so anything that darkened my skin was shunned. I don't subscribe to those kind of beliefs anymore and have embraced my tan skin. I haven't quite worked up to using serums and spray tans so I'd rather just let this go and stick with my powder bronzers.
Start: 7 // Pass: 7 // Keep: 0

l'oreal true match powder w3 w5, neutrogena mineral sheers powder foundation, rimmel stay matte pressed powder, tarte smooth operator amazonian clay setting powder, benefit hoola bronzer, benefit hello flawless powder foundation in i'm cute as a bunny honey, smashbox halo hydrating powder, makeup forever hd microfinish powder reviews

  • L'Oreal True Match Powder in W3 & W5 -- I used to wear W5 in both the foundation and powder. As I waited for the elevator one day, I glanced into a mirror and to my horror, I looked so orange! I went out and bought shade W3, which was better in terms of tone but it wasn't yellow enough. My face would oxidize and look pink throughout the day. W3 doesn't match my face but matches the rest of my body when I'm tan. I have to apply this all over my face. W5 is way too dark and has barely any use. I might try to use it as a bronzer. These powders are great powders! I haven't tried high end pressed powders but these do such a great job I don't see why I would pay more for powder. These give my face a demi matte finish and are great for touch ups. Just a word of warning, the compact falls apart easily. The top snapped off one day and the bottom mirror also went kaputz. So I don't travel with it anymore...
  • Benefit Hoola Bronzer -- One of the best contour shades on my skin tone. Most makeup artists recommend using a cool, ashy toned powder for a more believable contour as "shadows aren't orange but grey". However, those powders look unnatural on my skin and so I prefer yellow or red toned powders for contouring purposes. Looks great on a variety of skin tones so it's an all-year staple.
  • Benefit Hello Flawless Powder Foundation in "I'm Cute as a Bunny" Honey -- Heard many good things about this back in the day so I got the kit. I thought depotting it would make me use it more but it's actually been sitting there, forgotten so I'm pulling out my Z-Palette to make sure I use this more often. 
  • Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder -- I've been saving these for special occasions but honestly, how many functions did I think I was going to attend, haha. I've been using samples of these and oh my gosh, these are like powder photoshop. They fill in any visible pores, reduce shine but don't leave me overly matte and just make my skin look gorgeous! A little goes a long way so no need to pack on powder. This is a 100% mineral silica so beware of flashback. I didn't notice extra longevity but for the smooth skin effects, I love it! I read on Sephora's site that this powder is not animal tested but since Make Up For Ever sells in mainland China, I don't know how that can be possible unless this specific powder isn't sold there?
  • Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Powder Foundation -- This was my introduction to makeup. My mom uses this on a daily basis and has done so for years so when I wanted something to mattify my shiny sunscreen face, I turned to this powder. I used to cake this on but hey, at least I had flawless looking skin in photos! Sometimes, I can't tell that I had makeup on but I know that I was using this powder in those years. I think I even finished a compact because this one is a completely new one. I felt nostalgic and picked it up in a too dark color #storyofmylife. 
  • Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Setting Powder -- This powder seriously lasts and lasts. That's what I like about loose powders; the teeniest bit sets my entire face. I don't cake on the powder anymore so a tiny sample jar has lasted me for almost a year now. I don't wear makeup every day so that probably has something to do with it but I even like it for dry shampoo in a pinch. Since this  one has a fruity smell, it I like to think it lightly scents my hair, hehe. I featured it in my June Beauty Round-Up so head on over there for more thoughts!
  • Smashbox Halo Hydrating Powder -- Really intrigued about a "hydrating" powder, which seems so contradictory so I sprung for what I believe is the full size (and then a few weeks later, I got a tiny sample, gah). Again, I used to think my skin was too dark so I always bought Medium. Lo and behold, this powder didn't match so it's been lingering here. I'm just going to pass it on instead of hoping I'd get tan enough to use it. 
  • Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder in Sandstorm -- Another mismatch. This one has me shaking my head because not only is the tone wrong, the undertone is also wrong! And I bought it in store with my own eyes so I don't even know what I was thinking. I even used up a lot of it before I realized my mistake. Now I'm trying to use it up as a touch up powder when I'm at home or if I'm going out at nighttime and not taking pictures. No one has said anything so nobody else has noticed or I have the nicest friends, haha. It really does make my face matte but doesn't do much for oil control once I've already broken through the initial layer of powder. It's pigmented too so make sure you get the right color or stick to transparent.
Start: 11// Pass: 5 // Keep: 6
And that's all of my face makeup! I haven't sorted through the entire bit but this is the majority of my collection. I'm not sure if these mini-reviews are helpful or would you rather just see a list? I only have the lips stuff left so I might just keep this format until I do a complete collection purge. Kinda sorta looking forward to it, haha. 

XOXO,

Cindy ♥

No comments