Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

REVIEW | Tarte Amazonian Colored Clay Liquid Foundation

tarte amazonian colored clay liquid foundation review, light swatches
As the weather starts to warm up and the days get longer here in the Northern Hemisphere, so too do my makeup changes to accomodate. I look for lightweight foundations that look natural in sunlight yet still covers everything that I need it to. One of the foundations that I enjoyed in Winter and am carrying over to Spring is the Tarte Amazonian Colored Clay Foundation.


THE BREAKDOWN

This hydrating foundation is lightweight and has buildable coverage. One layer covers my redness but my post-acne hyperpigmentation marks are still visible. Two layers covers that up without making me look flat. Full coverage can mean different things to different people but I feel that this cover up all my trouble spots, making me look flawless yet not cakey. I could feel like there was foundation on my face when I built it up to full but it wasn't heavy or uncomfortable. 

The finish was dewy but not oily or shiny looking. If I don't moisturize well or use a primer, it can sink into my pores at the 4 hour mark.  Now that my pores have dramatically reduced in size since last year, this foundation no longer does that. Even without primer and setting powder, this foundation still looks just as it did upon application, albeit slightly dewier, 6 hours later. I didn't feel the need to blot but those who prefer a satin or velvet finish would benefit from that. The foundation does come off and move around if I don't set it but coverage is not dramatically diminished. With proper prep (primer + setting powder + setting spray) I can get 10 hours of flawless coverage with blotting at hour 6.

I actually prefer it built up than worn sheerly. I'm not sure why but it doesn't sink into my pores or look worn as quickly. The watery texture might cause it to break down sooner so having more of it on my face prolongs the wear? Whatever it is, I'll take the longer wear any day! 

Mine came in the Tarte Shades of Clay Collection so there was an included brush. When using the brush, the foundation went on streaky. I think it applies best with a slightly less dense brush with longer bristles, like the e.l.f. Studio Powder Brush. My biggest complaint is the packaging. The mesh top does keep the foundation from spilling out the lid but most of my foundation brushes (RT Buffing Brush, e.l.f. Studio Powder Brush) are too large to fit neatly in the opening, causing the foundation to spread out of the hole. It does however, prevent me from picking up too much foundation at once though some might have issue with double dipping. Remember to shake before you apply!

THE SWATCHES

tarte amazonian colored clay liquid foundation review, light swatches, UD Naked Skin -- 3.0 MUFE HD -- 120 Sand L'Oreal True Match -- W3 Nude Beige Benefit Hello Flawless -- I'm So Money Honey Tarte BB Tinted Treatment -- Light Benefit Some Kind of Gorgeous -- Medium
FROM LEFT TO RIGHTTarte Colored Clay -- Light
 UD Naked Skin -- 3.0
MUFE HD -- 120 Sand
L'Oreal True Match -- W3 Nude Beige
Benefit Hello Flawless -- I'm So Money Honey
Tarte BB Tinted Treatment -- Light
Benefit Some Kind of Gorgeous -- Medium

THE LOOK

Tarte Amazonian Colored Clay Foundation  Light  UD Naked Skin -- 3.0 MUFE HD -- 120 Sand L'Oreal True Match -- W3 Nude Beige Benefit Hello Flawless -- I'm So Money Honey Tarte BB Tinted Treatment -- Light Benefit Some Kind of Gorgeous -- Medium
just the foundation and eyebrows -- nothing else!

THE BOTTOM LINE

I highly recommend this foundation! It's a pricey one at $39usd to $3 S/H for 0.68fl oz ($58.35usd per oz) but it works well on dry skin.  Even though I don't rely on my foundation to provide me sun protection, SPF 15 doesn't hurt. My skin fluctuates from day to day depending on whether I'm sticking to my skin regimen or not. When I do stick to my skincare, I find this too hydrating and I get oily. But if my skin is feeling dry, this one is great at not emphasizing the dryness even when I build up the coverage.

WHERE TO BUY

Tarte Amazonian Colored Clay Foundation // QVC / tarte
Tarte Liquid Foundation Brush // QVC


What are your go-to Spring foundations?
Will you be giving this a try?

XOXO,
MWAH ♥



3 comments

  1. Pricey but a good choice; color is perfect and it looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have beautiful skin and absolutely gorgeous lips!

    question: do you ever wear MAC foundation and if you do, what color do you wear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is if it fits your skin type! I've never been matched at MAC but I'm around an NC25 from comparisons :)

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete