Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

BEAUTY ROUNDUP | August 2016

The end of August has been a busy month for me as I went back to school. As such, blog posts will be even more sporadic than they already are, haha. But anyway, let's talk about all the products I've been using all month. This one is heavily skincare-based as I've been reaching for all the same things from the previous months, so if you want to know about my makeup favorites, check the previous Beauty Roundups!
garnier skin renew dark spot corrector,josie maran 100% pure argan oil, josie maran pure argan oil intensive hydrating treatment, hawaiian tropic faces sunscreen spf 30, elf studio translucent mattifying powder, fresh rose lip treatment, eucerin daily protection moisturizing lotion spf 30 reviews and monthly favorites, august beauty roundup 2016

e.l.f. Studio Translucent Mattifying Powder -- $3usd for 0.13oz
While cleaning out my collection, I re-discovered this gem. It claims to be translucent but it has a peachy tint to it. On my skin, it doesn't alter the color much so I don't mind that it's not translucent as it claims. The included sponge gives me the best application. It covers my pores, completely eradicates shine while giving me a slight bit of coverage where my foundation has worn away. Once the oils come to the surface, I have to keep blotting every four hours to maintain a satin matte finish. This doesn't irritate my skin or make it itchy so it's a good one in my book! I go through it quite quickly due to my sponge application but as it's affordable and easy to use, I don't mind.


Josie Maran Pure Argan Milk Intensive Hydrating Treatment -- $56usd for 1 oz/30ml
I've been using this gem since last inter to combat my excessively dry skin. After not taking good care of it for months, I had a lot of work to do. The treatment provides an extra layer of moisture that doesn't feel thick or heavy. With ingredients like argan oil and propanediol, it will moisturize the skin and seal the hydration. I use it both night and day, under makeup with no adverse reactions. Great for those who have dehydrated or dry skin looking for a boost.

**Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Face Lotion Sunscreen -- $9.99usd for 1.7oz
Sunscreen is the most important step in my skincare routine. Even if I'm running late, I will always make time to apply my sunscreen before I head out. This sunscreen provides broad spectrum SPF 30 with synthetic sunscreens avobenzone (UVA protection), oxybenzone (UVB and some UVA protection) and octocrylene (UVB protection and stabilizes avobenzone). I prefer synthetic to physical sunscreens because I dislike the white cast from physical sunscreens but they are sensitizing for some people. As always, read the ingredients list carefully to see what might not work for you. Due to the thicker cream formula, I didn't need to add any additional hydration products. Since the texture is thicker, I found that I only needed about half a pump for my entire face. It would be too greasy if I used a whole pump. However, I went through this alarmingly fast; I had used up about half within a month. To make it last longer, I mixed it with the Eucerin lotion. For summertime, I found it to be too rich for my skin but for winter, I would consider it. However, I've found conflicting information on whether or not Hawaiian Tropic is truly cruelty-free so I wouldn't repurchase.

**Eucerin Daily Protection Moisturizing Face Lotion -- $9.99usd for 4 oz
While the Hawaiian Tropic sunscreen went by too quickly for my tastes, this one just keeps going and going. I've had this for over 4 months but it's still over halfway full. With two pumps, I can cover my face and neck. Even though it has microfine titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, it still leaves me with a noticeable white cast. It's not as bad as other physical sunscreens-only but it does lighten foundation that I put over it and other people can tell where the sunscreen is if I don't rub it in extra carefully. The sunscreen also contains octinoxate, octisalate and ensulizole for added protection. This one is also SPF 30, which is great for everyday use. If you don't mind a slight white cast and are looking for a non-greasy but slightly hydrating formula, this one is for you.

*FRESH Sugar Rose Lip Treatment -- $24usd for 0.15oz
This is probably the most expensive lip balm I own but a tiny bit goes a long way. With other lip balms, I find that I have to layer it three or more times to feel the hydration whereas I can get away with just one pass with the FRESH. I have the mini Rose scent and while it claims to be a sheer tint, mine is very pigmented. Not sure if that's because it melted and rehardened though...Which is the only con (including the price). Living it sunny California has its perks but I can always tell whether my lip products will stay with me a long time in the heat. The metal casing doesn't help with that and is annoying; I'd rather pull up that have to twist it open. Lest I sound like a complaining brat, the positives are that it contains SPF 15 in the form of octinoxate and oxybenzone. Of course, if you're sensitive to those ingredients, you don't need me to tell you to stay away. Otherwise, it's a decent lip balm if you don't mind the price. 

*Garnier Skin Renew Dark Spot Corrector -- $16.99usd for 1.7 oz
This'll probably be the last time I mention this product as I'm sure you're all sick of me singing its praises. I tend to get post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation after a breakout and Vitamin C is my go-to to get rid of the unwanted reminders. It contains 5% ascorbic acid, an effective and stabilized form of Vitamin C. Results show up within a month so it's not for those looking for quick results. It also adds a bit of moisture so if my skin is feeling good, I'll skip the Josie Maran treatment altogether and go right to my sunscreen. I've also done a product smackdown on this, so check it out if you're interested! Unfortunately, Garnier is not cruelty-free so I'm on the lookout for a comparable product.

Do you have months where you stick to the same makeup?
If I didn't run a beauty blog, I'd be using the same things over and over, haha.



(*) denotes a brand that is not cruelty-free.
(**) denotes a brand whose cruelty-free status is unknown/unverified. 

XOXO,

Cindy ♥



No comments