Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

REVIEW | Rimmel London Show Off Lip Velvet

rimmel london show off lip velvet atomic rose meteoric matte swatches and review,
 Quite easy to tell where I picked these lovely lippies up from, haha. Annoying sticker aside, the Rimmel London Show Off Matte Lip Velvets were released early this year. These lip lacquers claim to be a "weightless liquid colour with a velvety smooth finish". The "earth-shattering intense colour stays true for up to 8 hours." How much of this is true? Well, keep reading to find out!



I'm a huge fan of the original Rimmel London Show Off Lip Lacquers, which are more of a glossy finish. Staying power on that wasn't great but the intensity of the color and ease of application made up for the lack of staying power. When I heard that these were coming out, I was intrigued by the matte finish, as that seems to be all the rage this year. While I don't think they are what one would traditionally consider a matte, it doesn't have any shine or sheen but feel quite comfortable on the lips without drying them out. 

Packaging is similar to the Show Off Lip Lacquers--same tube but the finish is matte instead of glossy. I found find tucked in with the glossy versions so double check to make sure you're grabbing the matte ones. I didn't get leakage problems like I did with the Rimmel London Provocalips and the stopper in this one does a better job or removing excess product. Color range is more limited than the glossy versions, 5 instead of 9 but that's good for a hoarder like me. There's a nude, red, orange, mulberry, and a peachy pink. I picked up Meteoric Matte and Atomic Rose. The scent isn't strong like the originals so for those who disliked the scent, you'll be fine with this one. 


On lasting power, I don't think they last 8 hours. Depending on what I'm eating/drinking, weather, etc, I can get anywhere from 1 to 6 hours of flawless coverage, which means that it looks just the same as it did when I first applied it and I don't feel compelled to retouch. I think the trick to these is to not over-apply. If I use whatever is in the doe foot applicator, I get a gloopy mess that transfers immediately. To prevent that, I apply 3 dots on my lower lip, spread it out with my finger and then do the same to my top lip. Once everything is even, I take a tissue to dab off any excess product. When I apply using this method, I get a longer lasting effect than if I just applied straight from the applicator. With drinking from straws or mugs, I don't get transfer but if I eat a heavier meal, I do have to reapply afterwards. These lacquers are super pigmented but if you draw outside your lip line, there's time to remove the color before it "sets". I find that if I apply them thickly, the product starts to dry out my lips and crack after 4 hours. Reapplication of the product doesn't smooth or ease the cracked situation. I do have drier lips and most lip products chap my lips so that might affect wear time on me.

THE SWATCH

rimmel london show off lip velvet atomic rose meteoric matte swatches and review,
Meteoric Matte is a mulberry color. I've been looking for a color like this for ages so I'm glad that my quest is over. I'm tickled pink by the fact that this is such an affordable option when I was looking at a UD lipstick. Not a traditional Spring color but I'm still rocking it! Atomic Rose is a peachy pink that works well as a nude color on my light medium skin tone. It's a little too pale on its own but for a slightly heavier brown smokey eye, this color is perfect! 
rimmel london show off lip velvet atomic rose meteoric matte swatches and review
I tried finding dupes in my collection for Meteoric Matte but nothing came close. Atomic Rose on the other hand, had several close comparisons. The swatches below look nothing alike but on my lips, they look very similar.
rimmel london show off lip velvet atomic rose meteoric matte swatches and review, nars lodhi dupe

  • I Wish Lovely Lip + Cheek Tint in  Lovely Peach -- lighter, leans more peach
  • NARS Satin Lip Pencil in  Lodhi -- brighter, more peach, glossy finish
  • Rimmel Show Off Lip Lacquer in Luna -- more peach, glossy finish
  • Tarte Power Pigment in Exposed -- more brown, glossy finish

THE BOTTOM LINE

For $4.99usd, you can't go wrong with these! Since I only need a little bit, I foresee this product lasting a long time! The scent is reduced compared to the originals, which I'm sad about. I quite liked the scent but I know not everyone is cool with scented products. Though shade range is small, I think they covered the basics. I've even taken to mixing colors for variety and so far, so good. Highly recommend these if you can get your hands on them.

WHERE TO BUY


XOXO,

MWAH ♥



No comments