Beauty Round-Up

Cruelty-Free

FOTD

PROJECT PAN | A to Z 2018 Intro

PROJECT PAN | A to Z 2018 Intro

If you've been following my Instagram, you'll know that I've started my first official Project Pan: A to Z Pan. I've been following panning accounts for so long and decided it's time I try my hand at this. My collection has gotten out of control and I think this will help me focus on using up items. This is just a fun format for those of us who get overwhelmed by our own massive collections *raises hand*. I've picked 26 items to coordinate with each letter of the alphabet. 

While this is meant to be a year-long project, I didn't post an update in January because I had started halfway into the month. So, this intro post is much more appropriate while I wait to post my first update at the end of February. Side note, while my blog is meant to feature only cruelty-free items, I wanted to include non-cruelty free items in this project just so I can focus on moving them out of my collection. I won't be repurchasing anything that is not cruelty-free and will clearly indicate those in the ensuing makeup bios.  

This is a long post so I would suggest you get comfortable, LOL. Let's jump into the items and my goals for the year!

PROJECT PAN| A to Z 2018 Intro, L'oreal Infallible eye shadow in amber rush, benefit hello flawless powder foundation in honey, benefit coralista, dr. brandt bb matte light medium, loreal infallible eye crayon in enduring rose reviews
A is for L'Oreal Infallible Eye Shadow in Amber Rush (not cruelty-free) -- I've had this in my collection for at least two years and I can count the number of times I've used it on one hand. This is a gorgeous rose gold eyeshadow with major sparkle without being glittery. Since this is practically full, I'm hoping to hit pan instead of using it all up. Since this is my first serious attempt at a project pan, I don't want to set too high of a goal. 

B is for Benefit "Hello Flawless!" Powder Foundation in "Honey" (not cruelty-free) -- Such a mouthful! I remember when this was all the rage on Youtube and now no one that I currently watch uses this. I have a yellow undertone which makes it harder for me to find the correct shade and undertone. This one is a good enough match for me though if I apply too much, it can look slightly orange. In that case, I use a fluffy brush to dust off the excess. This one is great for adding a bit of coverage and keeping the face matte and poreless. My favorite method to apply powder for a long lasting finish is using a dry sponge to pick up the product and pressing it into my skin. I can get all day wear (over 12 hours!) with just one touch up. Definitely try this if you have problems with foundation breaking up on your face!

C is for Benefit Blush in Coralista (not cruelty-free) -- Another one of those cult products that seems to have receded back into the dark. At first, it was hard for me to pick up product with my brush. I had to jam my brush in there several times to get color but after wearing away the embossing, three swipes is enough for each cheek. I love the fresh look this blush gives me. I've been working on this since Fall 2016 and it's still not panned. Granted, I don't wear makeup every single day but this one lasts forever. Another product I would like to hit pan if not use up completely.

D is for Dr. Brandt BB Matte Broad Spectrum SPF 30 in Light to Medium (not cruelty-free) -- This is such an old bb cream that it needs to go. I don't use this for SPF because it's so old but since it's a bit darker and orange toned, it'll work well for mixing with lighter toned foundations and neutralizing pink tones. The finish is quite powdery matte so I'm expecting to get more use out of this in the summer months to keep oil at bay.  

E is for L'Oreal Infallible Eye Crayon in Enduring Rose (not cruelty-free) -- Eye crayons are always so tempting for me to buy due to the perceived convenience. Yet I never reach for them! This one is a pearly ballet pink that will add a bit of variety into my current Pan that Palette 2018 (post coming!). It's creamy no doubt but despite being in the Infallible line, doesn't stick around. I'm hoping to use it up but knowing me, I'll be happy with half of the pencil gone.

PROJECT PAN| A to Z 2018 Intro, lip fusion infatuation full frontal, benefit goof proof brow pencil, dr jart+ bb dis-a-pore, innisfree no-sebum mineral pact, benefit hoola bronzer reviews
F is for LipFusion InFATuation in Full Frontal (status unclear) --  While the trend of fuller lips is still going strong, I'm fine with how mine are. I'm not a fan of plumping glosses so this was a mistake. Granted, this doesn't hurt as much as the Buxom but I don't notice any difference, which is fine to me. The color is great for every day and the formula is perfect for the dry and windy California winter.

G is for Benefit Goof Proof Brow Pencil in Shade 3 (not cruelty-free) -- When I'm selecting a brow pencil, I prefer a broader tip rather than a thin tip. I just don't have the patience to draw pencil-like strokes. The color looks good for my brows and the formula is hard. However, when I rolled the product up, it broke in the casing so don't do what I did...

H is for Benefit Hoola Bronzer (not cruelty-free) -- Another one of those cult products, I'm pleasantly surprised this one lives up to the hype. While not my all-time favorite bronzer (that spot is reserved for the Physician's Formula MuruMuru Bronzer (review)), it's much more pigmented and not so warm that it looks weird as contour. Because that's pretty much the only use I have for bronzer-shade powders...This one suffered many mishaps during my rudimentary attempts at depotting it but I'm glad to say that I've worn out the embossing. This is another product I've been working on since Fall 2016 so I'm hoping to just hit pan. Anything further is icing on the cake.

I is for Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Pact (status unclear) -- Powders are one of those products that I go through relatively quickly so I think I will have no problems using this up. At the moment, I'm using the Benefit powder in the morning to set my makeup and an e.l.f. powder to touch up throughout the day. Once the e.l.f. powder is gone, I will be putting this in my purse. I don't notice a white cast with this powder but my skin tone is relatively light. So I wouldn't recommend packing it on with a sponge; rather, it would look best as a light dusting using a fluffy brush. It does tend to leave behind a powdery matte finish but I don't mind since my natural oils peek out anyway.

J is for Dr. Jart+ Dis-A-Pore Beauty Balm (not cruelty-free) -- With my current skin woes, I've been shelving my light coverage stuff in favor of my medium to full coverage base makeup. This one barely classifies as light coverage in my opinion and is too pink for my skintone. So, I mix this with Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation (beauty roundup) to lighten it. The Bourjois gives me the coverage I need while the Dr. Jart+ corrects the color and smooths out my skin.

PROJECT PAN| A to Z 2018 Intro, colourpop lippie stix konnichiwa, maybelline expertwear quad chai latte crease, nars blush deep throat, maybelline color whisper in orange attitude reviews
 K is for Colourpop Lippie Stix in Konichiwa (cruelty-free) -- One of my good friends and I bonded over our shared love for Hello Kitty so when Colourpop released this limited edition collection, I knew I had a to grab a few pieces. I don't think I ever shared a post on it but this mauve pink matte but comfortable finish fits right into my work routine. The color is more muted than shows up above. Despite the cute packaging and limited edition status, I need to start using it more before it goes off.

L is for Laura Mercier Foundation Primer in Protect (not cruelty-free) -- This is another one of those products that I never got around to using before it expired. Now, I don't condone using expired makeup on your face but I have been wearing it several days now and have not noticed an adverse reaction. The SPF is gone by now so I treat it as an additional layer of moisture. I haven't noticed any dry flakes throughout the day since using this. Would've been a good one for me if LM was CF.

M is for Maybelline ExpertWear Quad in Chai Latte "Crease" (not cruelty-free) -- I went through this huge depotting craze and depotted several of my eyeshadow quads. I rearranged the colors and such and now get more use out of those shadows. I even went through two Rimmel shadows (as face powders) so I'm glad I went through with it. I'm itching for another depotting session but that's a story for a later time. Since I don't wear cool toned shadows much, I'm using it as eyebrow powder. It's not pigmented to begin with and the ashiness corrects the red tones of my current brow pencil. Since taking these photos, I'm starting to see signs of wear so I'm satisfied for now. 

N is for NARS Blush in Deep Throat (not cruelty-free) -- So disappointed to hear NARS isn't CF anymore so I'm working on getting them out of my collection. My editing skills are not where it used to be as this color is much more muted than it appears here. This post has a more accurate color and swatch. The muted pink with gold flecks adds a healthy glowy sheen to my cheeks. It's one of those colors I reach for when I do a smokey eye as it enhances the skin rather than competes with my eyes. 

O is for Maybelline Color Whisper in Orange Attitude (not cruelty-free) -- Not sure why they discontinued this line as I thought it was great and cute. I have several of these and decided to focus on this since I'm not into orange lips anymore. Again, not a bright as it appears and is on the sheer side. Lip products are another one of those items I go through quickly so I should have no problem finishing this.

P is for Holika Holika Jewel-Light Waterproof Eyeliner in Black Plum (status unclear) -- If I go for color, purple is the one I prefer. These liners are great for my oily lids and watery eyes. They're creamy and come in loads of colors. This one has never been sharpened so I would like to use up at least half.

PROJECT PAN| A to Z 2018 Intro, queen helene mint julep masque, revlon highlighting palette in rose glow, benefit blush sugarbomb, tarte maracuja creaseless concealer light medium reviews
Q is for Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask (not cruelty-free) -- This stings like hell so I would definitely not repurchase. The only thing this does for my skin is dry it out, which is a no-no for me. I did use it almost all the way up, but there's a few uses left. I'm dreading it but I just want it out.

R is for Revlon Highlighting Palette in Rose Glo(status unclear) -- I was hoping for a dupe in a Bobbi Brown product, but this wasn't what I was hoping for. The product was stiff and unpigmented. However, I've grown to like it, despite the obvious glitter flecks. With continued use, this has gotten more pigmented to the point that I can use it as blush as I intended. 

S is for Benefit Blush in Sugarbomb (not cruelty-free) -- There's a lot of Benefit products in here but I promise, this one is the last. Like the previous Benefit powder products, this was stiff and unpigmented. But with continued usage, the powder is easier to pick up with my brush so I no longer have to go ham with it. This one mixed with Coralista gives me a peachy pink glow that always looks fresh. One quadrant is going quickly whereas the others have stuck around. Not sure how that happened since I try to swipe across as evenly as possible. I have rotated the product in my palette to see if that'll help the other colors get picked up.

T is for Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer in Light Medium (cruelty-free) -- This is embarrassingly old as can be determined from the packaging. But the product itself hasn't changed from when I first got it. The formula is thick and creamy, which is perfect for my dry undereyes this winter. Light Medium is a bit too orange on my current skin tone but that orange tint is great for masking dark circles. Since I only use a pinhead-size for both eyes, this one will take a while to finish but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts...and lasts.

PROJECT PAN| A to Z 2018 Intro, ulta beauty sunscreen spf 30, nars larger than life long wear liner in via veneto, ysl touche eclat blur primer, bareminerals well rested face & eye brightener, nyx jumbo pencil cottage cheese, murad acne spot fast fix reviews
U is for ULTA Beauty Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Sunscreen (cruelty-free) -- On my search for a more affordable alternative to my favorite Supergoop! sunscreen (review) , I gave this a try. ULTA products often go on sale so I would wait for one of those to give them a try. This one was lightly moisturizing yet left my face greasy, if that makes sense. My foundation wouldn't blend seamlessly if I didn't give the sunscreen about fifteen minutes or more to sink in. No one has time for that! There was also a white cast that thankfully disappeared the more I rubbed it in and as time went by. The scent was pleasant enough but I prefer my skincare to be scentless. 

V is for NARS Larger than Life Long Wear Eyeliner in Via Veneto (not cruelty-free) -- Not sure if I'm supposed to sharpen or twist up to dispense more product, but I'll soon find out. I don't want to twist up and not be able to get the product down again. I've used this a couple times in the past but it didn't leave a strong impression. I don't use black eyeliner these days because I find it harsh but this is a deluxe size so it won't be too bad.

W is for BareMinerals Well Rested Face & Eye Brightener (cruelty-free) -- Used this a couple of times and not a fan. First of all, I don't like brush tip applicators nor twist up ones. It's like a glorified moisturizer for me and doesn't have any brightening effects whatsoever. 

X is for NYX Jumbo Pencil in Cottage Cheese (cruelty-free) -- Slightly cheating on this one but I got the idea from Paula at A Beauty Guru Made Me Do It. Never sharpened so I would like to get a few uses out of this. My only complaint is that the caps of these pencils shatter on me. Don't know if it's because I pressed them in too tightly or what but I don't want them to dry out. Regardless of the cap fiasco, this pencil is still soft and pigmented. It's a satin white that would look great as a base for a blinding inner corner highlight! 

Y is for YSL Touche Eclat Blur Primer (not cruelty-free) -- Haven't used this one but the gold flecks are intriguing. I can't wait for the cute little bottle to be empty so I can refill it, keke. 

Z is for Zit (Murad Acne Spot Fast Fix) (cruelty-free) -- Another cheat but I couldn't think of any products with Z. I've only used this twice so far so I don't have a strong opinion yet. However, I can say it is miles better than ones I've used by Neutrogena. It doesn't overly dry my skin out and does not sting upon contact. I put it on a fresh pimple this morning and several hours later, it has dried up considerably without affecting the nearby skin. Win for me!

To show my progress, I've devised several methods.For the tube items, I won't be showing progress pics because I haven't figured out how. I will just show them cut in half when I have used it up. For powder products, I just want to hit pan unless it's a face powder. Pencil-type items have been marked on an index card and I will show my progress that way. Anything with clear packging will be easy to see progress so no need for a special method.

So that's all 26 products for the year! I've decided that this project will be on a rolling basis because I expect to use several items up and don't want to waste time. I've already replaced a product, which you can check out on my Instagram. This was a very long post so if you've made it this far, thank you! I always feel the need to add a mini-reivew to everything if I can in the case that I never get around to dedicating a full review. If there's any questions about any of the items featured, don't hesitate to ask!

Have you all participated in a project pan before?
 If you have, please link me to yours as I'm currently obsessed with them!

XOXO,
Cindy ♥


No comments